Fair Wear & Tear Check

Wesley949

Hi all,

Next week, I have a team coming to inspect and collect my A6 as its being handed back to the Finance Company.  I have read the fair Wear/Tear booklet that was provided to me and I know I have the odd few stone chips (nothing major) but the car is in good condition from my own assessment.

Looking on all alloys, I have no obvious kerb damage and no scrapes but on one of the front alloys, I have noticed a few light scratches and just wanted someones opinion as to whether this will be picked up and will go against me following the assessment.

I have uploaded three photos but photo 02 is a zoomed in image of photo 01.

I appreciate your time and assistance.

Kind Regards

Wesley

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Hi,

I deal with a small (8 cars) fleet @ work and ime this wouldn't be an issue tbf, in fact I wish all ours were that good.

It may be noted but I doubt they would invoice for it.

2 hours ago, sshooie said:

Hi,

I deal with a small (8 cars) fleet @ work and ime this wouldn't be an issue tbf, in fact I wish all ours were that good.

It may be noted but I doubt they would invoice for it.

Thank-you for the reply.  It has eased my mind a little, cheers.

I'm probably worrying over nothing as my mind-set is on the Finance Company Invoicing me for things to make up the £3000 loss etc.  Ive never had an assessment before and with this social distancing, I cannot be anywhere near the assessor plus they are allowed to sign the paperwork on my behalf of which I understand because of the COVID thing but not because it will not be my signature.

I had an Octavia collected a couple of weeks ago and although distanced, I watched the assessor. I feel it's important to at least let them know you are interested in their findings.

They vary wildly sadly although they all comply with BVRLA guidelines some are more 'bothered' than others, we use Arval, Lex and Network Lease

I sent a Golf back with a rear bumper that obviously needed replacement (split) and the charge was only a couple of hundred pounds.

I sent a Caddy back with a missing parking sensor, the invoice was £12.00 !! (bizare and it even detailed what it was for, so not a typo)

More recently I was in the office on a call when they came and they noted some marking to an Octavia bonnet, I went out and it was bird !Removed!, albeit a bit dollop but I wiped it off and questioned the guy, his answer was, yeah it usually etches.

I used to have the cars tarted up prior to returning them, including bit's of paint as they have 90-160k on when we return but over the past few years I've stopped this and taken the hit instead and I think I'm quids in. The most I've paid is £1300 on a 155k golf with a hard life, the last one went back @ £138 and I now budget £500 per vehicle.

Also remember they have it in the T's and C's that they will do a proper check back at the depot and I've had a couple of charges afterwards, but they will always send you a report with photo's of any damage etc. so take good photo's of every panel/wheel before they go.

I agree it can be quite concerning but don't be afraid to question them, I have and have had bit's knocked off.

The below was the last one, the dent was a trolley ding so happy @ £26 and the wheels were quite bad

image.png.ce8925368a4b64c7acdc29ac76479695.png

image.thumb.png.dd65c79080c04cb1278e7b15c7feba79.png

12 hours ago, sshooie said:

I had an Octavia collected a couple of weeks ago and although distanced, I watched the assessor. I feel it's important to at least let them know you are interested in their findings.

They vary wildly sadly although they all comply with BVRLA guidelines some are more 'bothered' than others, we use Arval, Lex and Network Lease

I sent a Golf back with a rear bumper that obviously needed replacement (split) and the charge was only a couple of hundred pounds.

I sent a Caddy back with a missing parking sensor, the invoice was £12.00 !! (bizare and it even detailed what it was for, so not a typo)

More recently I was in the office on a call when they came and they noted some marking to an Octavia bonnet, I went out and it was bird !Removed!, albeit a bit dollop but I wiped it off and questioned the guy, his answer was, yeah it usually etches.

I used to have the cars tarted up prior to returning them, including bit's of paint as they have 90-160k on when we return but over the past few years I've stopped this and taken the hit instead and I think I'm quids in. The most I've paid is £1300 on a 155k golf with a hard life, the last one went back @ £138 and I now budget £500 per vehicle.

Also remember they have it in the T's and C's that they will do a proper check back at the depot and I've had a couple of charges afterwards, but they will always send you a report with photo's of any damage etc. so take good photo's of every panel/wheel before they go.

I agree it can be quite concerning but don't be afraid to question them, I have and have had bit's knocked off.

The below was the last one, the dent was a trolley ding so happy @ £26 and the wheels were quite bad

image.png.ce8925368a4b64c7acdc29ac76479695.png

image.thumb.png.dd65c79080c04cb1278e7b15c7feba79.png

Thank-you for the detailed reply..seems like you know a lot about this.

I get the good/bad assessor aspect as it was similar with my Driving Instructor, so it will be pot-luck to who will show-up.  Your experience has put me a little bit at ease (not the £1300 part), but your description has helped. 

Settlement for my car is around £17,000 and value is £14,300 so my mindset is that the Finance company will Invoice me over silly things to help make up the difference.  I've Voluntary Terminated to save money and now I have the Audi A3 Black Edition, which is a lot cheaper, I am trying to save money and I guess I'm more concerned about the assessment than I should be.  I can afford a few hundred but definitely nowhere near the £1000 marker.

Car is being assessed and collected this coming Monday.  I just want it over with.

Thank-you for your kind assistance.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, apologies for the delay on the A6 update, been hectic with returning back to work etc..

The A6 has now gone, a few weeks ago (6th July) and was upset to see the car go as it was a great car but I needed to do this, to start saving money.

The Assessment went well but it was a scrape on the front bumper, scratch on the N/S wing and various stone chips on the bonnet that fell victim of the cost.  A lot cheaper than I was expecting but still.  The assessment added to £152.40 (£182.88 with VAT).  That was my final Invoice from the Finance Company and its all paid up, so now I can start driving my A3 and start saving some pennies.

Edited by Wesley949

• 1 month later...

Bit late to the party but what did the fair wear and tear say about tyres out of interest? Got a friend returning a car and she was asking if I thought she needed new tyres, I assume as long as they are legal she'll be alright?

Hello Peter,

You may be right in that minimum  ‘road legal’ tyres may be adequate, but there is something in my mind that motor traders have to ensure there is a minimum of 3mm of thread remaining on vehicles offered for retail. Same applies for handing back end of lease cars?