Dashcam install in new Q3?

KeithWalter

Has anyone with a new 2020 Q3 installed a dash cam themselves?

I'd like to be able to wire up a camera myself, but due to the large number of air bags and the lack of knowledge regarding the removal of the A pillar cover on this vehicle I may have to get an installer to do it for me

Anyone removed the A pillar cover safely and replaced it? I'd love to hear from you if you have

Thanks

My advice would be to get a professional to install it. But usually dashcam wiring is often piggybacked of the cigarette lighter/12v socket.

Cheers

Steve

2 hours ago, Steve Q said:

My advice would be to get a professional to install it. But usually dashcam wiring is often piggybacked of the cigarette lighter/12v socket.

Cheers

Steve

I don't have any worries about the actual wiring, it's not knowing how to safely remove the A pillar cover to route the cable behind the air bag that concerns me. I probably will get it fitted professionally in the end

• 1 month later...

Hi Keith, are you enjoying your new car-I've called mine Suzi! (Suzi Q) the trims usually just prise off (have you got a 'trim removal tool') as I have done on previous cars but to be honest I haven't  looked into mine yet! I have also been thinking about fitting a dashcam, have you seen this model - IRO Dashcam it's very neat but doesn't seem available atm, it's advertised on Fb & Amazon!

Have you experimented with premium fuel at all? I will post the question as I am curious as whether there will be any gains in our Q3!

• 3 months later...

Anyone reading this a few months on

You don't need to remove the A pillar cover completely to wire a dash cam, you can pull it out at the top just far enough to be able to get your fingers in and guide the wire BEHIND the air bag

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 12/29/2020 at 4:45 PM, KeithWalter said:

Yes, it’s just held on with clips

get a pry tool under the edge and carefully pry it off

Hi Keith....if you manage to read this.

I hard wired my old Q3 and thought it would be easy on the new shape....in the end I couldn't fit the rear camera as I just couldn't get under the roof panel.

I didn't fancy trailing wires around the airbags!

I think I might have a go at fitting a separate standalone camera for the rear.

Regards