Finally found a solution for MK2 TT Space Saver Wheel

Luke808

Hi all,

Relative newbie here just trying to find my way so apologies if this is posted in the wrong place. 

I've been hunting across various forums for a solution to the 'what space saver actually fits in the wheel well of my Mk2 TT' question and just wanted to pass on my findings. I know it's been discussed on various threads before but I thought I'd clump all the relative information in one place for a newbie reference and also for your feedback to whether this is the best solution. Any draw backs to using this approach etc?

So my understanding is use a :

Space saver from mk5 Golf GTI

VW Part Number 1K0601027B

125/70r/18 Tyre - Stud Centred 67mm

--------

I have included a handy video for installation below.

https://youtu.be/JlVs0lanUrE

--------

Any feed back or additional tips would be greatly appreciated.

Stay safe and happy,

Luke

😎👍

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Well done that man! Thanks very much for the info, Luke808.

I live out in the sticks and hate the fact that there's no spare wheel for that tyre shredded emergency that, to me at least, always seems to happen at 2.00 a.m with absolutely no help around what so ever. Doing this mod., will at least get me home and, as you mention, with an almost insignificant loss of space in the boot.

I'll be straight on to e-bay to get a wheel organised asap. 

Thanks again, cheers, Jimbo.

• 5 months later...

Hi Luke,

I've just bought a 2008 Mk2 TTS which doesn't have a space saver spare and I'd like to get one.  I've only just joined the owners club and have read your post.

You've suggested using a space saver from a M5 Golf Gti, which due to its width does not fit into the spare wheel well. Is this because there isn't a space saver wheel available for the TT? (I really would like the boot cover to fit correctly).

Any guidance would be useful, thanks.

• 2 years later...

Hello, I'm new to this group (it's my wife's car not mine), and have been looking at the spacesaver wheel issue. As one would expect there don't seem to be many TTs hitting the breakers yards by us. Apart from the M5 Golf Gti mentioned above, is there any other car whose space saver wheel might fit? My local breaker said they occasionally now get A4s coming in for breaking, but I don't know if early noughties A4s even used space saver wheels back in the day, still less whether Audi uses common wheel stud placings. I've never owned an Audi before.

Just as a general point, the money-making use of these 'gloop' injecting replacements for a spare wheel is an abomination.  

On 6/6/2021 at 7:16 PM, KevGH said:

Hi Luke,

I've just bought a 2008 Mk2 TTS which doesn't have a space saver spare and I'd like to get one.  I've only just joined the owners club and have read your post.

You've suggested using a space saver from a M5 Golf Gti, which due to its width does not fit into the spare wheel well. Is this because there isn't a space saver wheel available for the TT? (I really would like the boot cover to fit correctly).

Any guidance would be useful, thanks.

You should buy the Actual Audi Collapsible space saver, will fit right in, think they go for around £150. Retro Fitting a Golf wheel with a wood baton and ratchet etc would trigger my OCD.