TV Tuner not working

John1292

Hi All,

Hopefully someone can give me some advice. I have just bought this car 2 weeks ago A8 D4 2014 facelift. I was playing around with the MMI (MMI 3g I think) to see what options it had and came across the TV tuner. I selected it to see what would happen and to my surprise i could watch TV (all the free view digital channels). I assume digital as it says that next to each channel. The reception wasn't great as the picture was in and out but sound was there. A couple of days later I was picking the other half up from work so i decided to watch some news but this time it showed all the channels but I couldn't watch anything as there was no picture or sound. I have tried in various areas now just in case it is a reception issue but no joy. 

Does anyone have any ideas.

help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.   

Sounds like an issue with the antenna or tuner, this should flag up as a fault code and a diagnostic check is probably the way forward. Or contact a good auto electrician. 

How long have you owned the car? 

I must add that the TV won't probably work whilst the car is moving for safety. 

Cheers

Steve

I was parked up at the time. I used VCDS with a genuine rosstech HEX CAN. It did say it was intermittent but that was GPS antenna it was pointing to. No issues with the sat nav, just out of date. If it is the antenna is this easy to change? The car is late 2014 d4 facelift. And owned the car for 3 weeks now.

Thanks for your reply Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Tv tuner is working. Its just the signal so all good there. But there is a problem with the GPS antenna as it is coming up with an open circuit intermittent fault through VCDS. Can anyone tell me or have instructions how to remove the antenna for renewing? This is the 2014 facelift A8. Any help will be appreciated.

The inside headliner near the rear window and half way to side window needs to be unclipped and pulled down back, then unplug the wires and unscrew GPS receiver and old fin and replace with the new, plug wires back in and replace headliner. It's a job for an auto upholstery mechanic. This obviously refers to the sharkfin one. Some have another one for speed assessment on the inside of the windscreen I believe.