High miles

A1 COS

Hi there

I'm about to purchase an Audi A8 3 ltr diesel.Car had 18,500 on it last Christmas.

New owner purchased it in March and owned it for three and a half month it has now got 32,00 on the clock?

As we were in lockdown I can only imagine it has been abroad?

13,500 in three month

Should I avoid it?

All advice appreciated.

Hello D, (a bit abbreviated on name and location!).

One question I would be asking myself - why own a car for only 3.5 months and then part with it - at a supposedly high depreciation in the meantime? Yes, I appreciate the seller will come up with some reason/excuse, but....

Well there is another question really:- What (main dealer?) servicing has been carried out in this 13.5K miles? Possibly nothing if it was serviced at 18K. Are you buying off the owner? If not, are you able to make contact with that person? 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi there

I am purchasing it from an Audi main dealer Huddersfield, the car was previously supplied new by them and had one owner until 18,500 miles, the owner traded it back in against a new model.

The car was then shipped to Audi main dealer in Middlesex and sold.

It is now in Audi main dealer Reading waiting to be shipped back for me to Huddersfield, they don't know hoe it has accumulated 13k in three and a half months during lockdown.

Seems to me it had possibly done a couple of trips to Europe.

It will be serviced before handover with a two year warranty.

Any advise?

Thank you

Hello,

OK. If it were me, I wouldn’t be touching it without speaking with the last owner, but it’s obviously your decision. You are simply assuming the reason for the exceptionally high mileage in recent months, and have no idea why it has returned (through a number of Audi dealers) to be resold - at what must  be a considerable financial loss to the last owner. 

You also don’t tell, us whether the price of the vehicle has been suitably reduced in line with its chequered ownership history. 

You say ‘I am purchasing it...’ so we must take it you are doing just that, and personally, I get the feeling you are looking for support that ‘yes, go ahead - good buy..’, and I feel that is not something which this forum can reasonably advise on. Of course, I could well be wrong. 

Since we don’t know where you are, don’t know whether you have just wandered into Audi Huddersfield and seen the car ( a distinct advantage/ essential), or whether you have agreed to buy the car via. and Internet sale - sight unseen. 

Let’s hope someone else on here can give you the support you look for to confirm you are doing/ have done, the right thing in buying this car. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thank you for the reply

I cant speak to the previous owner as I don't know who he is.

I have decided to purchase it already subject to a test drive.

I am trying to establish if having 13k miles on the clock in such a small space of time may be somewhat detrimental to the car.

I presume the miles have been accrued on a motorway as I don't see how it could have accrued so many miles in such a short space of time in a city centre.

I suppose I am seeking advise (good or bad) from people who have a lot more experiences than a newbie. 

I have previously owned Lexus LS (too. expensive now) Mercedes S class (never again) I don't want a range rover.

The obvious answer to a quiet refined ride is the A8.

Than you

I suppose a better question would be, will driving an A8 13000 miles over a three and a half month period br detrimental to the car.

Thank you  

Hello D,

You have already decided to buy the car, so really - end of.

As I see it, sorry, but it’s a bit too late to be doing the homework now. 

Previous owner on V5? - take it you have seen that before committing to buy. 

Good luck with it.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

On a plus point it's better you're buying from a main dealer than private garage or individual. The mileage is a concern but Audi approved used like all approved used cars are often cream if the crop. 

Audi should be able to tell you if the car was fleet/business or private use. And as long as it's well serviced I can't see there being too much of an issue. 

For added piece of mind you could always take out an Audi warranty as long as it covers everything like the normal 3 year warranty. 

Cheers

Steve