s4 engine

dmm

Hi-I have a 1998 S4 avant.Recently had to be recovered by RAC due to major blue smoke from exhaust.

Garage have drained oil and replaced oil and does actually start now but starts to knock after a few miles..Basically condemned it!Been told  reconditioned engines dodgy.

Is there any hope?Does anybody know a mechanic in Bromley area for this type of thing.?Accept its dire but just love the car which ive had18 years.

Hello David,

Sorry to hear of your issue. It does sound as if the work required on your engine would render if beyond economical repair.

If it were mine, I would be seeking a secondhand engine as a replacement, and if would be worth listing your ‘want’ on the car breaker link system such as Partsfinder (there are others). All linked in breakers will have sight of what you are looking for, and will respond to you directly if they have a suitable engine. 

Kind regards.

Gareth. 

Would a full engine rebuild be an option?

Have heard horror stories of purchasing “reconditioned “ engines.

anyone have experience with this scenario?Happy to pay out but don’t want to be ripped off .

Hello David,

You will spend a fortune on having a ‘full rebuild’ carried on on your engine - far, far in excess of the car’s value, and of course, you answer your own question by realising so called reconditioned engines can be of highly variable quality.

The other problem you have via. this route is that there are now comparatively few engine reconditioners in business - most have ceased trading due to the longevity of current engines, and those that are in business tend to concentrate on rebuilding ‘classic’ car engines. 

I would still consider that your best option is to buy a secondhand engine - or indeed scrap the car, if you are not too happy with that route.

Kind regards,

Gareth.