Replacing cat with straight pipe on Audi coupe 2.3e b3

IHK 11

Hi i was just wondering if anyone could help? I have a 1990 Audi coupe 2.3e ng engine B3 which has a cat on it but doesnt have to have one as the car was made before 1992. People have told me that the car would do more mpg and gain a few more bhp without the cat. Does anyone know where i could get a straight pipe to replace the cat with? Does anyone know of a website that would sell one or have a part number for this part if it is possible to buy this section? Any help or advice would be much appreciated. I could probably get one made but would rather buy a ready made one if possible. Thanks Ian!!!

Hello Ian,

I’m not disputing your claim that the car doesn’t have to have a catalytic converter since it is pre 1992, but I would raise the counter query that it might indeed still need to be fitted since the car was built with it. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

I was thinking to myself im sure Audi put the cat there for a reason but wondered what it would be like without it. Id still like to try changing it to see if theres any difference. If there wasnt or the car didnt run how it should i would always put the cat back on it. Its one of them if i dont try it il never know. Thanks anyway.  Ian!!!

Fair point Ian, but the MOT emission requirements would be controlled by the acceptable figures already in the VOSA system against your car registration.

Also, since Audi fitted the car with a catalytic converter, it will have programmed the fuelling to correspond with that. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth thanks for replying.!!! ye removing the cat could effect the fuelling really. Might be better to leave it. Ive also thought the ecu might receive different figures from the lambda sensor and the car might not run properly. Thanks for helping. Its good to know these things. The cars running pretty nicely at the moment so dont want to cause any unnecessary problems. Thanks again!!!