High C8 RS6 oil consumption?

neil mc

Hi All,

New to the forum and keen to see if anyone can help. Recently bought a C8 RS6 which only had about 350 miles on it. Loving the car and running great but had to top up the oil with 1 litre over the past 1,200 miles (total miles now around 1550) Reading Audi told me to keep an eye on it but I was popping in to get a few bits so feels like I should have them or Salisbury (where I bought it) check the car over or has anyone else seen or heard similar? Doesn’t seem to be noticeably leaking oil anywhere on the drive etc. 

Thanks in advance for the help.

Neil

Hello Neil, 

Sorry to hear of your concerns with this car.

The theory is that all engines can (in caps) be a expected to burn some oil during the bedding-in period, but in reality I feel  it’s more of a cop-out statement than an actually expected fact. 

The problem you have here, is that you are going to be subjected to this ‘excuse’ probably until the car has covered at least 5,000 miles and probably more - if they can keep you on a string beyond that time point. 

To try to put an anticipated time scale on this, what will be your expected monthly average mileage over the coming months? 

In old English, this engine is currently consuming 1 pint of oil every c 680 miles, and this is -to say the least - inconvenient. In comparison, I have a couple of cars over 80 year old and not using that much! 

Anyway, if this were mine, I would be writing/e mailing the dealer principal - phone cals and visits would not be adequate - and informing him (opps, or her) of your concerns, and the fact that you will be monitoring the consumption over the next 2? months before deciding on a course of action. That could include rejecting the car, if the consumption doesn’t reduce. To me, it would be all important to record and date every check you carry out, and keep the dealer informed at the same time. Evidence will be king. 

Probably an unnecessary suggestion, but buy your top up oil (5/litres) - ask them to confirm the required grade via. the reg. no. -  at the same dealer, and retain the receipt. I would be removing any excuse along the line ‘you’ve used the wrong oil’, so I would strongly advise against using any other oil than is supplied to you by the dealer. 

Perhaps you could let the forum know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth,

Thanks very much for the swift and thought through response. Yes agree this doesn’t seem quite right and starting to write / document the next few months is a good suggestion. I emailed the dealership last night but I’ll find out who the principle is and put something in writing to them as well. I bought 2 litres from reading Audi based on the reg and think I still have the receipt (final part of the first litre went in last night). I did have some screen shots from the app which monitors the electronic dip stick but think I deleted them as they had the date on them but will start storing them moving forward. I don’t seem very lucky with cars as had all sorts of different issues in the past. Maybe I need to stick to a push bike! 

Thanks again for the advice and will keep you posted on the next month or so in due course.

Neil

• Like 1

Thanks Neil,

You have invested substantial funds in this car, and the reasonable expectation should be you can sit back and enjoy it.

You really shouldn’t be expected to have the responsibility of continually adding oil to this new prestige model, as if it were a worn out banger that you had just bought for a couple of hundreds of pounds!  Not on in my book, but let’s hope it gets better. 

Not wishing to pry into your circumstances, but if there is any element of finance involved, then it would be wise to copy them in on all correspondence since technically they will have ownership/part ownership and indeed responsibility of it. 

Good luck with it.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 3 months later...

Hello ,same car bought with 33 mikes and oil light came up today, have about 1500 miles and was looking online for what oil and came across thus forum , Had to post as I was shocked as I initially thought ut was down to my driving, great advice but also a tad worrying that thus could be a fundamental issue with the model 

regards 

John

Hello Johnathan, 

Thanks for being in touch. I share your concern with regard to having to add oil to this new car. Just to make sure we understand it correctly, this car was bought ‘new’ earlier this year with a delivery mileage of 33 miles, and has now covered a total of 1500 miles (in how many months?) and at which point it needs to be topped up with 1 litre? of oil. Perhaps you could confirm we have the detail correct. 

My first port of call would be to register this fact (by e-mail will do) with the supplying main dealer, and anyone who may be involved with providing finance for the car - if applicable. My feeling is that the dealer/Audi will claim that it’s not unusual for vehicles to consume oil in the first few thousand miles, and it is possible that this consumption will decrease from that point, but.....

It would be interesting to know how long it’s taken you to cover this 1500 miles, and what your average journey mileage is, and what type of roads (speeds?) are used. 

Re. Grade/specification of oil to use - see handbook. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My 2020 C8 RS6 was bought new from the dealer, I’ve done 2400 miles and the oil was at the top of the electronic dip stick when it was new and now it’s 50% down, the car has had to go in for some pre sense problems and they wanted £15 to top the oil up! Thought they would of done this free of charge out or courtesy! Told them not to bother! 

Hello Lee, 

Sorry to hear of your issue. I just wondered if you really were serious in rejecting their action of adding oil to the car when it was shown to be necessary. Telling them not to bother will potentially hamper any subsequent claim you may wish to make, since you are condoning using the car with a low oil level.

Obviously your call, but is this risk worth taking to save £15? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

1 hour ago, Magnet said:

Hello Lee, 

Sorry to hear of your issue. I just wondered if you really were serious in rejecting their action of adding oil to the car when it was shown to be necessary. Telling them not to bother will potentially hamper any subsequent claim you may wish to make, since you are condoning using the car with a low oil level.

Obviously your call, but is this risk worth taking to save £15? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth,

I wouldn’t run the car with low oil I would simply purchase the same oil myself and top it up as it’s far cheaper than paying there stupid prices. 

Thanks 

Lee

Thanks Lee, 

OK, I give up! Audi would have topped it up for £15, rather than you buying it at around £7.

Audi would log their addition of the correct oil, so reducing any argument about oil consumption in the future (which there is likely to be). The bonus to you is that you have saved around £8 on a vehicle which recently retailed at many tens of thousands of pounds! 

But there again, I guess £8 = one (free) McDonalds. Apologies - I’m being cynical. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth,

There is nothing the dealers can do if the correct oil has been used wether you purchase from them or purchase independently, it’s more principal as overpaying ‘stealers’ to do something so simple! The oil usage doesn’t concern me as I’ve had E92 M3’s that use a litre every 1000 miles, I won’t keep the RS6 long enough to be a problem anyway! 

Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Lee again, 

Apologies for contradicting, but I’m sure you with have the necessary respect for your warranty not to use a ‘thicker’ oil than that recommended by Audi. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

If you look in the owners manual, you WILL find there are a few different oil viscosities that you can use.  My car drinks 5w30 when driven hard.  Give it 5w40 and it barely uses any oil over 1000 miles.  And both are VW approved oil's for my engine.  So the RS6 will be the same, it will be in the owners manual. So as long as its a VW approved oil, with the correct codes on the bottle as stated in the cars owners manual, it will be fine, and there will be no warranty complaints. 

Its not like I said to go from 0w30 to 20w60 for a diesel Toyota was it. 

This guy has a 2020 RS6 from new.  I have a 2006 2.0TFSI from new, from day 1 its drank 5w30.  Its like water.  Adding Forte oil Fortifer stopped it.  Using an oil like 5w40 also had the same result.   109000 miles on it today.  Been remapped for the last 60k, run's like a dream and still has 3/4 oil left if I left it the full 10k between oil change.  

Hope you get it sorted Lee, I've had my eye on an RS6 for a while.   

Thanks Steve,

I think you will find that recommended oil viscosity ranges in the handbook are based on operating temperature conditions - i.e. the climate in which the car is normally used. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Gareth and All,

Been meaning to send an update for ages. So aside from the two initial top ups the oil levels seem to like sitting around half to two thirds and doesn’t seem to move much now and covered nearly 5k miles now and car just one turned one. I know it seems odd but its almost like it doesn’t like to be completely full and happy now sitting at the above mentioned levels. 

Also another small thing is the boot lid has some water getting in and Audi covered under warranty but it was the trim which runs across the top of the rear lights and a known issue according to Audi so they replace and rebonded. The original factory fit didn’t seem to fill the small holes properly with glue and rain was getting into through some tiny holes behind. 

I also managed to scuff the underside of the front bumper so need to get that sorted but its very low and it was a really off / steep bit of tarmac.

Anyway loving the car and looking forward to more miles soon.

Cheers,

Neil