Timing Belt question

fward

hi,

I have just bought a near perfect 1996 Audi A4 1.6 here in Germany. Every service and repair over its lifetime was undertaken at an Audi garage. One owner from new, the car was also garaged all its life and only has 130k kms on the clock.

Because the person who owned it didn't do big mileage, the Audi garage only changed the timing belt once in 2005 at 80k kms. They didn't recommend changing it since as it has only done 50k kms on this new belt in the 15 years since they installed it.

I understand that the timing belts for this car are good for 120k kms or 'every five years' (whichever comes first). Should I continue with this 15 year old timing belt and change it after another 30k - 40k kms or change it straight away?

I appreciate any help with this

thanks

Hello (sorry we don’t know your name).

You have already answered your question by 120km or 5 years - whichever comes first. Since the belt was last changed 15 years ago, it should in theory now be due for its 3rd change since 2005, but indeed it hasn’t been changed at all!

Now urgent.

Rubber deteriorates with age, hence the time limit, and low mileage -in terms of stop starts can subject the belt to great stresses than higher mileage up-to-operating- conditions use.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. I would be changing the auxiliary belt as well.