Q5 nappa seats - not so positive feedback!

James_

Hi all

I've recently acquired a 2017 plate Q5 S line. It's needless to say lovely and absolutely best in its class for me (I tried a Landrover Discovery Sport which really was like driving a tractor in comparison). However - the front seats. I did do a test drive, but turns out that on longer use the Nappa diagonally stitched seats (see photo) are incredibly snug, as a result of the bolsters (for the "enthusiastic driver" apparently, and I'm not a fat lad. Has anybody else experienced this? You effectively sit on the seats, rather than in them. Just wondering whether anyone else has experienced this, and whether seats give at all. 

Thanks!

IMG_9561.HEIC

Hello James,

You are not alone, you clearly have sports seat but not a sport bum.

I have the same problem on my 18 month old Q5, with nappa, where,  the seat base bolsters stick into your hips, and on a long journey you get numb bum syndrome!

I had a Passat R Line previously with the same problem, had the vehicle for over 3 years and that seat never softened, and I don’t expect them to on the Q5!

However, do not despair, I have the ideal solution. Back in 2016 I invested in a Putnam’s 8 degree seat wedge, British made of memory foam, and of excellent quality, and used this for over 3 years and still as good as the day I bought it, but that was grey, so ordered a black one last year for the Audi. It sits perfectly On the seat base, and raises your bum and hips just that bit to stop the bolster digging into you. I think they are about £32, there are cheaper imitations out there, but you get what you pay for.

There is of course a trade off there, with the heated seat, but to be honest, I find it makes the seat so much more comfortable and it’s already warmer than sitting on cold leather in the winter. That said I haven’t tried the heated seat with the wedge in place, so the heat may transfer through.
I can only assume the rest of the world has smaller arses than us Brits 🤣
Hope this helps

Regards

Pete R

Pete - thanks for the response, I'll give the wedge a go. I'm at a bit of a loss with Audi for what I think is the only design flaw in the car which, as you'll know, isn't cheap. I tried the conventional S line seats in another Q5 yesterday which seemed perfect. 

Best wishes.

Yes, I think possibly it may be that the nappa leather seats are as fitted to the SQ5, and an option ( expensive one) on my car which is S Line TDI, but I agree the standard cloth/ leather seats do seem wider.

Pete R

Hi there Pete, new to the club and thank you so much for this. Had SQ5 just over a week and feeling somewhat disappointed feeling lower numbness/pain after long journey’s. So clearly not having the correct !Removed! for the seats even though all my previous s line seats were fine. So gonna get hunting for the wedge which will hopefully let me enjoy my new toy!!! 🤣

Hello Jonathon,

The reason I changed the Passat for the Q5, was that I had hip problem, getting in and out was an issue. I had a new hip, but the wedge works wonders, and despite a huge scar, I now have no issues with the seat now. 
In fact I still use the grey putnams wedge in my MX5, which following the new hip, I am now able to get in and out of a lot better.

Glad to help

PeteR

Thanks again Pete, glad to hear its supported you so well. I had a bad injury years ago which now seems highly inflamed so fingers crossed this will ease things some what!

Jonathan.