Please help the newbie

Chris F

Hi all,

I really need some help with the rear lights on my 2008 A6 Avant. It started about 3 weeks ago with the inner led's stopped working on the drivers side and I received an error message on the dash. A couple of days later the outer unit did the same ( also drivers side).

I checked online for any known problems and read about the known issue with the led's. So i ordered a complete set as they were looking tired on both sides.

I spent the best part of the day removing the tailgate trim and replacing the inner lights clusters on both sides, then the drivers side outer cluster. I re connected the battery turned the switch and just like a child at Christmas I was disappointed when the damn lights didn't come on!

Can anyone please advise where the fuse for the rear lights is located? (Just want to make sure I didn't miss it)

Is this a known problem that any body can help me with?

Thanks in advance.

only work  one way  led  bud     and am sure fuesbox   were the door opens end dash 

The fuse is located in the boot, behind the panel on the right (you would have removed it to change the outer light if your car is RHD), I believe they are fuses 7(Right) and 9(Left) in the black fuse holder but check your manual.

You said the lights didnt come on, which lights? If you mean the side/running lights you will need to switch the lights to side/on (not auto if you have that). Also check if the lights come on when you brake, it is the same LED's but on a different circuit. Again check the indicator, reverse and fog lights, if non work, then it could be the fuse.

However, if only your brake/side lights don't work there are a couple of possibilities.

1. Most new lights don't come with the bulb holder, so you may have swapped yours in which involves plugging a molex style connector for the LED's. Check this is not the wrong way round
  2. Check the cars computer using a VW/Audi diagnostics tool, it may have stored a fault in the module which has disabled the lights (as mine did when I changed mine). Clear this and try again.
  • Like 1