Car keeps dropping in to limp mode

HughieJ

Hi, My daughter's A1 1.6tdi has started dropping into limp mode. I have removed and cleaned the EGR valve and MAF sensor which has improved things slightly. However, when the engine is warm and I attempt to accelerate above around 3000rpm it drops into limp mode again. It does reset by stopping and restarting the engine. I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to fix this issue before having to swapping out expensive bits of the engine in an attempt to fix. Thanks.

• 2 years later...

I have the same issue on my sons car which is a 2012 Audi A3 8P diesel. Did you manage to resolve it. ?
I dont understand the reason to go to limp mode if the EGR is an emissions issue. It seems more dangerous to be in limp mode on a motorway especially with no hard shoulder.

I used a basic Autel error code tool which said error P046C which i believe is EGR issue. A big and costly job to changeout an EGR valve on this model. Just want to make sure it is nothing else. I did spray in some Wynnes EGR spray and the car ran fine for about 30 mins and then at 70 mph the glow tube light came on with the dreaded limp mode. Any thoughts welcome. Car is 2012 with around 60k miles on clock