Buying a high mileage Audi A4

A4seeker

Hi folks, I'm after some advice on buying a A4(06 to 08) probably with mileage around the 120k to 150k mark..... There seems to be plenty 2.0L Tdi models around but should I stay clear of these and keep looking for a petrol model?

This car will only be used at weekends for leisure, I don't need it for getting to work so it will only do about 6k per year.

I'm a bit out of touch these days with the whole diesel market. I seem to be reading there's issues with oil pumps being prone to failure.... Again I'm just looking for some real advice on here. 

Thanks

I would look for a petrol based on your mileage. While you are looking at an older car, some of the pre 09 diesel engines have a DPF filter (I think only the 170hp ones) fitted. Meaning longer motorway drives are needed to regen them, otherwise they clog up and cause problems.

If you are willing to get a diesel either make sure it does not have a DPF or read up about them and make sure you drive it often/far enough to regen the filter. Removing the DPF is a MOT fail and/or a large fine now unless you have a friendly MOT guy.

6 hours ago, A4seeker said:

Thanks for the replies folks, that video has certainly increased my doubts over the 2.0L Tdi...... 

Glad we could help 🙂 it's all about the service history, the more the better as it gives you a indication of how the cars been treated.