Thinking 2012-13 A6 quattro diesel - common issues?

Werewolf1976

Hi all

Looking at getting a used A6  c10k-12k GBP or so - this seems to put me with a 2.0 or 3.0 diesel with quattro (hopefully)

What are the things to look for when buying used as the car would be out of warranty?
1) Is quattro more of a pain then its worth?
2) Is the 3.0d a useful upgrade over the 2.0?

I would be doing mostly school runs, shop runs and the occasional family vacation

I am worried about the electricals, sensors and such

Cheers

ULEZ compliance will be an issue for pre-2015 3.0 diesels. The 245PS diesel is certainly not compliant - which why they are cheap. 

Even the 2-litre diesel is plenty torquey enough for your intended use profile. 

If you want the car to have value at resale time, go for a 2015-on car.

• Like 1

Short runs are a Diesel Killer - DPF and EGR may come and haunt you. The short run economy return in relation to infrequent longer trips suggest to me that you should consider a petrol TFSi alternative. My 2.0 Diesel is enough to get anywhere in a suitable hurry but the 3.0 diesels are incredibly fast. 

Make sure, if you go for the Auto, that the Gearbox has been serviced properly at the correct intervals. An expensive service item 

Quattro should not give you any trouble - Was one of my must haves when I first started looking for a new A6 - add to that the Tech Pack 

9 hours ago, Werewolf1976 said:

Thanks, quick followup

Why look at 2015+, is it the age of the vehicle or ULEV certification that's important?

Is it realistic to run these cars to 150k+ miles?

Cheers!

The ULEZ compliance is important. Very few petrol 2.0 around. 

The diesel will do 45 mpg, the petrol only 30 mpg. 

Any car will do 150k miles if you keep servicing it. The A6 is a car built fpr German Autobahns.

On 8/3/2020 at 9:57 AM, Envy said:

Short runs are a Diesel Killer - DPF and EGR may come and haunt you. The short run economy return in relation to infrequent longer trips suggest to me that you should consider a petrol TFSi alternative. My 2.0 Diesel is enough to get anywhere in a suitable hurry but the 3.0 diesels are incredibly fast. 

Make sure, if you go for the Auto, that the Gearbox has been serviced properly at the correct intervals. An expensive service item 

Quattro should not give you any trouble - Was one of my must haves when I first started looking for a new A6 - add to that the Tech Pack 

On 8/3/2020 at 9:57 AM, Envy said:

I think this is something biting me in the backside abit now. I have the 245bhp quattro 3.0l love it really do and love the engine. Personally I'll be getting the BiTDI next but in meantime I am starting to get rough idle at cold which I feel maybe a dmf issue. Just started to look into it now hence I'm here. Drives amazing had it 2 years I do high milage. I do king trips but also short and that's the issue. It's my first diesel and auto and I really love it. I've had no issues in the 2 years and I'm now at 115k just had service but the idle still feels rough. It does not stall but does vibrate enough to move cat abit. As I say drives fine and no dash lights or anything shown up and simple check. Hoping might get a better idea.