Pearlescent Paint and Removing Scratches

Ranvir

I have a 2017 SQ7 model in pearlescent sepang blue.  I recently noticed some surface scratches on the bumper.  I have been looking at the different scratch removers on the market, e.g. Meguiar's ScratchX 2.0Car Paint Scratch remover.  Can I use scratch removal products on pearlescent paint please?  The scratch removal products are generally ok for metallic paint and not suitable for satin or matte finish but I can't find any information on suitability for pearlescent paint. Any help greatly appreciated.

Hello Ranvir,

I don’t think it’s so much of - can you use this scratch remover? - but more to do with if it is going to give you any significant improvement. 

It all depends on the depth of the scratch, and if it has removed paint (probably?) rather than just lacquer. If it has removed paint, then no amount of rubbing with scratch removers is going to add paint to the scratch. The car will have been painted with the colour and then overcoated with clear lacquer. If it’s just the the lacquer which has been damaged, then yes scratch remover will help to minimise the effect of the scrstch.

If you have indeed damaged the paint film then it would be worth considering a ‘smart’ repair, ( more costly , but saving the cost of buying the scratch remover). 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Gareth

Hi, many thanks for the prompt response.  The scratches are surface scratches so I am hoping they can be treated.  Do you know if there is any difference in treating scratches on pearlescent paint versus normal metallic paint finish please?

Thanks again for taking the time to consider this post.

Regards

Ranvir

Thanks Ranvir,

Sorry to be a pain, but when you say ‘surface scratches’ do these result in a lack of colour in the scratches, or are they simply scuffs in the lacquer? 

I probably didn’t explain clearly, but the pearlescent colour coats are applied first, and this paint is totally’ protected’ by coats of clear lacquer. So, if the scratches are only in the lacquer, then you are not going to be abrading the pearlescent coat at all, so there isn’t anything to worry about. However, if the scratches have resulted in colour loss, then you will be wasting your money on trying to ‘add paint’ by using scratch remover, so best to keep that money in your pocket and use it towards a smart repair. 

So called scratch removers generally only provide a short term improvement, and you may just a well consider using a coloured polish to try to minimise the effect. 

General rule of thumb would be that if you can feel the scratch with your finger nail, then you can forget about making much of an improvement by using scratch removers. 

Hope this helps,

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth

Many thanks for the additional clarification and guidance.  The scratches are on the lacquer layer and I will proceed with caution as suggested.  I will try the coloured polish route first and see if I can get the desired result.

You have probably saved me a lot of heartache!

Regards

Ranvir

• Like 1