Audi A4 B6 2.5TDI V6 sudden loud knocking now not idling or driving with smoke

Curtym

Hi All,

Unfortunately I would've liked to have found this site through the love of my A4 and not it's potential demise :(

So the story goes, I went on the motorway down to the shops, absolutely no issues(other than usual). I then come out, start the car to extremely loud pinging and knocking, with a complete loss of power. I drive 20 seconds up the road, the pinging then becomes like a jackhammer, to which it then cut out. When trying to start again, it very very roughly idles shuddering the entire car for 10 seconds before it cuts lumpy as hell throttle only stalls the engine quicker, with ridiculous amounts of white smoke and a strong smell of diesel from exhausts. No chance of driving it anywhere as it just cuts.

Bit of history, very frequently serviced. However since purchasing the car second hand its always had an issue with being extremely loud, an amount of white smoke when starting, and a bad time idling when cold which unless the revs are kept up it will stall until it is warm when it quietens down and maintains idle on it's own. Being a CVT this is a nightmare in a car park after shopping. Granted I'd rather than it not start at all

I did run out of fuel on the Saturday 1st August, the issue with not starting occured yesterday 3rd, driven fine in between with 100+miles driven between 1st Aug and the 3rd Aug. I live in the country so I drive atleast 10miles every journey and like to drive 200miles most days. I completely service every 5k miles. I do drive hard regularly above 100mph cruise, and maybe could go easier on the car.

Prior to the failure, the car had EML on with relation to Throttle Position Open Sensor, but ran fine. Looked like a terrible cabling job which I have rectified since.

RAC ran a diagonstics on the car, with the following results.

Diagnostic Codes RAC DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM
System Type: ENGINE SYSTEM TEST/VALUES Name: BDG - TDI - 2.5L - 120 (163)
DTC: 00550,Injection regulation opening valve
DTC: 19559,Swirl flap motor; defekt
DTC: 01282,Changeover valve for induction damper
DTC: 01375,Valves engine mounting, 1
DTC: 00532,Voltage supply
System Type: CENTRAL ELECTRONIC UNIT Name: CENTRAL ELECTRONICS - CENTRAL ELECTRONICS DTC: 01331,Driver door module
System Type: PARK DISTANCE CONTROL Name: PARKING ASSISTANCE - 4-CHANNEL DTC: 00625,Road speed signal
System Type: STEERING WHEEL ELECTRONICS Name: STEERING WHEEL ELECTRONICS - DIAGNOSE DTC: 01331,Driver door module
System Type: AC SYSTEM Name: CLIMATE CONTROL - CLIMATRONIC DTC: 00819,A/C pressure sensor DTC: 00532,Voltage supply
System Type: INSTRUMENT PANEL
Name: INTERIOR MONITORING - DIAGNOSE DTC: 65535,No trouble codes stored in the system

RAC guy gave good advice and a few tests but I shan't say what to not lead anyone's opinion.

Please help I adore this car, and wouldn't like to see the back of it.

I'm kitted out with spanners tools etc. and don't mind spending on special tools etc. (Within reason) for testing.

Is it also worth fixing aswell? Cars at 160k miles will it go much longer? I read 250k and beyond with the 2.5tdi but what is your experience?

I can upload photos, videos and sound recordings if needed.

Hope someone can help!
Curtis