Water in boot cavity

woto

Hey Guys

Wondered if anyone has had this problem ?

I'm getting water in the boot lid, its going into the cavity section of the lid not coming through into the boot, so when I lift the lid water comes out the access holes where you would change the bulb - I removed the lights then put silicone around the seal put it all back but that didn't work - then the next time I removed the seal from the light then used CT1 to stick the seal to the light then put it all around the seal, I thought the water might be coming through the seal. I left the lights for a few days for the CT1 to set, once it had gone off I applied silicone to bed the lights back on. This seemed to work but after a couple of months I have had water coming into the cavity again, I just can't believe that it's coming through the seals the amount of sealant I have used. The car is a A6 S-Line 2012 

New Seals CT1.JPEG

Strip Down.JPEG

• 5 months later...

• 1 year later...

Hi I've been getting the same problem, when I open the boot after its been raining, water pours out of both sides where the boot hinges and the liner. Fitted new seals to both lights about a year ago, still getting water in betwen liner and boot, so put black tape over the small gap between light cluster and body to see if this would help.. Seemed to solve the problem for the last six months. However started again about four weeks ago. But the tape is still in place. Don't understand how this is happening.

Hi Ian,

Last time I had this issue with a previous car (different manufacturer) I took the various boot panels/covers off so I could see the back of the light clusters, wiper motor, internal cavities, etc. I went to the local DIY Jet Wash with a friend and sat in the boot (hatch back) whilst they sprayed the car methodically from one side to the other, top to bottom, until I saw the water trickling in - mine was the rubber seal around the rear screen in one bottom corner... Lift that corner after a week in the sun to dry it all out again, tiny bead of clear silicon bath sealer, and that was it... Lasted until I sold the car 5 years later...

Maybe this could work for you...?

Best Regards,

Tigger

Thanks Tigger, will see if that’s practical, might be difficult with a saloon. However, I do have a jet washer, so might be able to sort something out. Will have to wait until it stops raining thought.

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian,

I think the A6 Saloons come with folding rear seats as standard...? Right...? So maybe lay across the folded-down seats with a torch/worklight whilst someone sprays the car with your own Jet Washer...?

Just a thought...

Best Regards,

Tigger

• 2 months later...

Hi Mark, Yes tried finding the leak by getting into the boot with a torch and my wife hosed the boot area along the edges. I could not find the leak, but when I got out and opened the boot up a little water came out of the liner by the hinge. just to add to this saga, we had a lot of rain the other night and when I opened the boot in the morning about half a pint of water came out from both sides of the boot. I have tried putting extra rubber seal on the boot lid to see if the water is getting past the boot seal, replaced the gaskets on the rear light cluster and put tape over the gap between the lights and the car body, also put duct tape over the edge of liner and the boot. Still, it leaks. There does not seem to be a leak when it is a light rain shower, but if we have a decent downpour that’s when water gets in???? if anybody has any idea what the cause is please let me know. Thank Ian

• Thanks 1

Took off rubber give it a clean and replaced Took it to car wash no water mine was very small amount think it was getting past rear registration plate holes for screws  stuck a few reg plate stickers over them all dry so far ..... 

• 3 weeks later...

1111247958_AudiBootGasket.thumb.jpg.04dd681e63a23c70cfa69c4ee8feb5e5.jpgThe latest on water in the boot cavity.

I have found that you can buy a gasket to attach to the edge of the boot lid, see photo. I purchased it from the local Audi dealer for £21.88. and fitted it in about 15 minutes. Making sure that the paint surface was cleaned and dried using white spirit. The part number is 4G5827321 Gasket. I also purchased two Bumpers 4H0827589B which I thought I might need. Only 59p each but found that the gasket already comes with its own. The gasket arrived broken in two which helped when fitting the gasket to the boot lid. Not sure how hard it would be to fit the gasket in one long section. A warning if you decide to fit this gasket, once the adhesive strip touches the bodywork, it sticks, fast and very strong. And you will have trouble moving it. I did this fitting by myself, but it may be wise to get someone to help.  Anyway, after all that I am now waiting for a good downpour to see it works. Will post an update ASAP.

(I wonder if this is an upgrade fitted to later A6’s)

Regards

Ian

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/21/2023 at 3:45 PM, IWalt said:

1111247958_AudiBootGasket.thumb.jpg.04dd681e63a23c70cfa69c4ee8feb5e5.jpgThe latest on water in the boot cavity.

I have found that you can buy a gasket to attach to the edge of the boot lid, see photo. I purchased it from the local Audi dealer for £21.88. and fitted it in about 15 minutes. Making sure that the paint surface was cleaned and dried using white spirit. The part number is 4G5827321 Gasket. I also purchased two Bumpers 4H0827589B which I thought I might need. Only 59p each but found that the gasket already comes with its own. The gasket arrived broken in two which helped when fitting the gasket to the boot lid. Not sure how hard it would be to fit the gasket in one long section. A warning if you decide to fit this gasket, once the adhesive strip touches the bodywork, it sticks, fast and very strong. And you will have trouble moving it. I did this fitting by myself, but it may be wise to get someone to help.  Anyway, after all that I am now waiting for a good downpour to see it works. Will post an update ASAP.

Regards

Ian

Update please mate

On 4/21/2023 at 3:45 PM, IWalt said:

Regards

Ian

That's great work, has it stopped water getting in? 

• Like 1

Sorry guys for late update. No the added gasket did'nt make any difference. I am still getting water between the the boot lid and the liner. None in the boot its self. Never had water there. Have now tried everything I can think of. New light gaskets, black tape around the rear lights and boot body, and the fitting of the new gasket as per my last post. I've checked that the screws on the number plate are watertight. Put making chalk on the boot sealing rubber to make sure that when the boot is closed it makes contact with seal all the way round. What to do now I wonder?????

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Little tip for any1 having this issue 

Remove these small rubber bungs water will flow out ...

20240108_160434.thumb.jpg.e3ec52bca6f0ee5784fd1cbaba830521.jpg

There's 1 each side ....

not a solution but better then water building up.

Until we find the main cause.  :whistling1:

Hi, I have tried many different ideas to stop water getting into the boot cavity. So, I recently covered all the joints between the boot liner and the boot with duct tape and left it for several weeks. Great, no water in the cavity. During the recent weeks I have started removing sections of the tape to see when the leak started again. This process took a while to do. I have now only tape on the side of the boot and around the rear of the light cluster, see photos. We’ve had no rain of late so will remove one of these and see what happens when it rains again. So far, no water in the cavity. Anybody who tries this, and it works, or doesn’t please let me know. Regards Ian

IMG_0830.HEIC IMG_0958.HEIC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, IWalt said:

Hi, I have tried many different ideas to stop water getting into the boot cavity. So, I recently covered all the joints between the boot liner and the boot with duct tape and left it for several weeks. Great, no water in the cavity. During the recent weeks I have started removing sections of the tape to see when the leak started again. This process took a while to do. I have now only tape on the side of the boot and around the rear of the light cluster, see photos. We’ve had no rain of late so will remove one of these and see what happens when it rains again. So far, no water in the cavity. Anybody who tries this, and it works, or doesn’t please let me know. Regards Ian

IMG_0830.HEIC 1.67 MB · 1 download IMG_0958.HEIC 2.88 MB · 1 download

You removed tape in 2nd picture already?