Knocking noise from suspension?

Loky11

Hi guys, I'm a new q5 owner and have noticed a nocking noise that mainly comes from osf sometimes can hear it on nsf, over bumps and potholes most of the time, sometimes it doesn't do it, Ive read else where that the pads could be the issue, or pad retaining clips, is this true? Or is it likely to be a suspension component? Thanks. 

Hello Wayne,

Highly unlikely to be associated with brake pads unless it happens when you apply the brakes. Sounds to be more like a suspension issue, and I would suggest it would be wise to get the car inspected as soon as possible, unless you are adequately equipped and experienced to diagnose the problem on your own.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Two things Wayne:-

I wouldn’t assume anything.

You really don’t have any evidence to support your assumption. I would simply give this a most thorough inspection, and see what comes to light.

Re. ‘Proper look when I can...’. The car is trying to tell you something, and personally I would suggest that any such noise warrants urgent inspection. 

I would not want to be in travelling near to this vehicle when whatever it is that is worn decides it’s had enough! 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

It's not a knock that sounds bad, loud or dangerous, more annoying if anything, all ball joints and bushes look OK, apart from 1 front lower (rear) control arm which I can move slightly by hand. As I have read elsewhere about the undersized pads etc which can cause a noise sounding like its coming from the suspension I just wasnt sure if it's common on q5s as its my first time owning an audi, I have worked in a garage for a year, so I will be doing the repairs myself, once I find out exactly what is causing it, I definitely arnt replacing parts unnecessarily in the hope that it solves it. 

• 1 month later...

My A4 Allroad has a similar issue. My local Audi dealer changed the drop link under warranty thinking it would fix it but it didn't. Closer inspection revealed that brake pad retaining clips were missing and it was the pads that were loose. Get under the car and give the brakes a good check out.

Just bought an A3, knocking noise from osf, garage replaced drop links under warranty, noise still there. Found that when braking the knock disappeared.

I'm am a qualified motor technician so decided to inspect myself even though it's under warranty. Found brake pads to be loose in caliper, tweaked retaining clips, car is silent now. Hope this helps.

On 8/7/2020 at 3:13 PM, Loky11 said:

It's not a knock that sounds bad, loud or dangerous, more annoying if anything, all ball joints and bushes look OK, apart from 1 front lower (rear) control arm which I can move slightly by hand. As I have read elsewhere about the undersized pads etc which can cause a noise sounding like its coming from the suspension I just wasnt sure if it's common on q5s as its my first time owning an audi, I have worked in a garage for a year, so I will be doing the repairs myself, once I find out exactly what is causing it, I definitely arnt replacing parts unnecessarily in the hope that it solves it. 

I have a 2017 SQ5 and suffer something similar when i'm driving on an uneven road at around at 30mph or less. Audi Poole technician heard the noise but they couldn't diagnose the problem. I've read on other forums that the disc rotors are the problem, but proving it is hard. I read that Audi Aberdeen had 4 or 5 cars with the same issue back in 2013/2014, all had rotors changed and the noises stopped.