Tyre recommendations

ianhoughton

Car: 2008 A4 Quattro 3.0 TDI Avant

Bought the car about 6 months ago, and I need to replace the 2 front tyres at least for my upcoming MOT. I've noticed that its running on 225/40ZR18 92W XL, but on the plate on the inside of the door it states 235/40/18 XL.

If I replace the 2 fronts to the correct spec (235), should I really be changing the rears as well?

What tyres do people recommend? Anything that might reduce the firmness of the ride? Do they need to be XL spec?

Hello Ian,

Your raise some interesting points here, and it’s obvious that you appreciate the adverse effect XL tyres have on ride comfort. I’m not sure if your XL are Run- flat as well, but both will add to the tyres inflexible characteristics. Couple this with 40 profile on a not stupidly wide tyre, and you end up with a ride quality asking to what we used to call a gumbo, or similar to solid tyres! 

Why XL? Well I guess it’s because it’s an estate, and it’s assumed you will be frequently carrying loads to it’s designed weight limit. If you aren’t, and you would prefer a more comfortable ride then it would be worth considering not fitting XL tyres. 

Tyre sizes fitted vs. specified sizes? It’s not uncommon for owners to opt for near-miss alternative widths/profiles if they can buy those alternatives cheaper, so it wouldn’t surprise me that that is what has happened here. What make are they incidentally?  I would certainly consider replacing them with the specified size. Brands? Depends on how important your budget it, but to me, final mileage achieved from a set of tyres usually works out similar in terms of £s spent for mileages achieved. 

Backs still not specified sizes? I guess it depends on how you drive, since you might be introducing a number of variables here in terms of non XL on the front. 

Not sure how much of this helps.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth,

Sorry for late reply.

The fronts are: Rapid P609 ?? 

The rears are: Continental ContiSportContact

I can't seem to find any non-XL tyres in this specific size. But black circles are doing an offer on Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5

Thanks Ian

Hello Ian, 

Rapid P609 eh! Probably originated well east of the Thames estuary! 

Perhaps you will have to go with XL, but we take it you will go with the recommended size.

Goodyear? These are a premium grade tyre, and the only experience I have with Goodyear has been with a family member’s BMax which was fitted with them from new - didn’t last as well as expected despite painfully careful! driving. 

Continentals? Got these on the large non- Audi and they have done well. Tried them on the humble A3, and not too impressed with the mileage achieved, so will be reverting to Michelin which gave much better mileage per £. Ok , may be more than expensive to buy but have lasted longer with us. 

Buying online? Yes OK, what I tend to do is get the best reasonable online price in carriage and inc. the all important fitting and see how this compares with say Kwick Fit who now seem to be very competitive. Armed with these prices, I then go along to me independent tyre company and enquire how close they can get. I feel we must support the local trade even if it may turn out to be a few pounds more - which it often isn’t. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.