seatbelt warning

Cabrio

Hello,

I have a 56 plate Audi Allroad and the driver's seatbelt warning keeps pinging. The belt is properly connected, the problem is worse when driving on normal roads, especially twisty/hilly/bumpy where my weight shifts about. On motorways it happens much less. By experimenting I've found if I shift my weight slightly I can get it to stop pinging. I'm wondering if there's a sensor in the seat base that is faulty? It also pings up straight away when I lean forward even slightly.

Thanks,

Caroline

The drivers seat belt must always be buckled for the car to be happy, unlike other passenger seats where if it thinks someone it sat in it without one.

The sensor for this is in the seat buckle itself, and may just need replacing.

Hello Caroline,

I think Max raises a good point, but when I think about it, you can start a car and not sit in it, and the seat belt warning does not come on, so does it indeed have pressure switch? Or is the warning only activated when the car starts to move - a la the locks engaging? 

Whatever, it sounds as if it needs investigation and could be the seat belt buckle connection, or possibly a poor connection under the seat - often problematic due to dust and fluff. May be worth investing in a can of spray contact cleaner and giving the buckle receiver a good spray, together with any accessible under-seat connectors. Do not use WD40 or similar. If that fails then it sounds like a trip to a trusted independent or local auto electrician. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hello Gareth,

I have some spray called Gardlec, which is a non-chlorinated electrical cleaner. Do you think that's worth trying?

I take note of what you say about WD40 - I was told recently that the WD stands for water dispersant...

Thanks your your input,

Caroline