S4 Avant

ven

Hi there, just picked up an s4 avant for a family bus. Something a little fun, yet practical.......(if thats a right word). I have come from a Touareg v6 tdi which was an awesome machine, but a complete money pit. After new turbo and swirl flaps (£1585) followed straight away with 6 new injectors (£250 ea plus vat!=£1800) the love /hate relationship grew to hate. I wont lie, a subaru legacy spec B twinscroll was very very close, fresh import and 70k. However finding certain parts, showed to not be as easy as thought. Then the s4 avant i drove before the covid 19 kicked off, stayed with me. Fraction over 100k, 2 owners, last owner an older gentleman which  he hardly used and kept garaged.  He had it for 8+yrs and averaged 3k a year for most years.

Lots of cool stuff, kids made up they have heated seats i rear. Solar air con is such an awesome idea and maybe one of my fav things! Coming back to a cool car on a hot day is fantastic.

Goes without saying  it has the cold start rattle for a second or so from the lifters. Been told by a friend who has an RS4 2006 its pretty much the norm and not to worry.  Got a miltek centre saved for me, just pondering the back part to release that awesome v8 burble.

Wish me luck and  please bare with me. My manual is on the way via DPD so even programming the bose stereo is a challenge for radio stations. Sat at the V power pump googling where the petrol flap release is..........yes i know, just push the flap! haha

Not enough time to look real into these discrete beasts, i will admit more time was spent looking into the spec b. Its going to be a sharp learning curve. Least the battery is not under the passenger seat like the Treg anyway.

Kind regards ven

Old treg (if pics dont work i will figure out later)

TIVBkIXl.jpg

The new start

px2HEfal.jpg

ecbdNjLl.jpg

0vJunYMl.jpg

Just found out about the 15 second rule, it does make a difference, significant and noticeable. No rattle if its started warm, but the 1st start this morning it was barely noticeable( ign on before getting in car, starting up once seat belt on type 15 seconds). 

Had a bit of a drive last night to work, drives sweet, smooth changes, real happy. The 15s rule is a bit of nonsense really. It appears it allows the flaps to open, so basically limits any rattle making it sound either quieter or possible flap rattling. Weird, sometimes a little worse than others when left for 12hrs. Defo chain rattle for 1-2 seconds, but it is butter smooth and does go away. Having read some changed the chains, guides etc etc and for it to come back in 25-30k miles, seems an over kill move right now. So going to change oil every 5k for 5/40 502, give it a name and become part of v8 ownership personality (read trait lol). It does bother me a tad, but i know pretty , much most do it. Its normal for most chain type engines anyway, just a design flaw that seemed never to be put right(audi fail, well i am use to VW fails!). The 3.0 seems to have a chain rattle to.

Been done to death, so just going to enjoy it which i am. Been a while since i have wanted to go for a drive for no reason at all. Cheers ven 😀

Yes, like a kid again Steve! Mind you, never grown up.........no plan anytime soon😀

Fan of the a6, that is actually a better size for me.I shied away a little as i could not find the 3.2 v6 petrol that easy. I did not want another v6 3.0 diesel again(admit it is a great engine). But after the turbo and injector bill........just the once thank you.

I had found an s6, but it was a little scruffy/beat. Who knows down the line........

Thanks again for reply, have a good Sunday😎

Dont know where really to put this, so will add here for now. Few little tweaks so far, had front arches re-done, getting rid of the stone chips/rust. Not too bad or rotten, but enough to do my head in!

mI8urU2l.jpg

8NZMLcxl.jpg

Rims powder coated anthracite, just wanted a darker(not black)colour. Previous car had gun metal, but looked a little too dark and black in lower light.

Before

ACdS11gl.jpg

After

aHPDyezl.jpg

cXd3Bikl.jpg

Just a miltek cat back to go, not sure resinated or not yet, thinking not!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Steve, booked in for 2 weeks time to get exhaust done next. One on has those valves in the back boxes. So going cat back no resonators , GT100 tips(would prefer something else but only choice of 2 tips). K and N is due this week and that will be going in. Just make sure no excess oils and left to air for a few days. Never had an issue previous and just a habit I have! 
Cheers 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Few more bits done, K and N in

w7Ok8ool.jpg

dHHlNZjl.jpg

New cabin filter

Seen worse

xnU5H47l.jpg

New

VCwLYBul.jpg

Also had air con people out, 280g in system out of the 500g + - 18g, all good and reset the flaps(not as cold on passenger side due to flaps not fully aligned behind dash, all good now).

This annoyed me, few marks on the headlamp switch

a6zKuoVl.jpg

New

tKuM5v4l.jpg

Got an engine cover to, just looks tidier

5PvsbLhl.jpg

My 10L of oil has arrived, await pump(amazon have 9L ones on offer for £21) as an easier/alternative option of regular oil changes. Also have ramps , but with the oil filter up top , if i can get most of the oil out, no point in going under the car!.

Put LED back in side lights(new ones as one of the old flickered). Does look cleaner than the bulb!

4s99997l.jpg

Thats it for now 😀

Oh annoyingly the miltek has not been delivered yet either, a cat back none resonated GT100 was ordered over 2 weeks back. Spoke to Miltek and there is a back log on some parts..........fingers crossed for monday, the day its booked in for!. 

Ramps came today(no pump yet so could not wait). Up it went

1pZAX8Il.jpg

My container got completely overwhelmed 😅  10L which has a drain up top, the flow was far too much and flooded over sides. Prob 2-3L went on drive🙄. Luckily😀 a bucket was at hand.... New crush washer, cleaned up the under tray. Little oil under there, so undersealed to😀. Clean up, new blueprint oil filter fitted. Poured 9L in and took off ramps. let idle for a minute. Left alone for 5 mins then added around 0.5L . 

Was told the other day, the miltek could be weeks...........Thankfully i got a call late morning to tell me its at the distributor (miltek to them, then to garage). So should be good for Monday which was planned 3 weeks back. 

Then after that, 4 new boots and then stop spending hopefully. 

Some may find interesting........if anyone reads it haha.

So 9.5L of this stuff, 502/505

QiWk7z2l.jpg

2QZC3h5l.jpg

Cost under £45 for 10L , £10 for oil filter,  add £5 for crush washer so £60. al in.  Cheap!!, worth doing every 3k imho. So had 2 cold starts now, absolutely no chain rattle at all.......nothing, smooth start up. I am super happy!!!! Will see how it goes now over the miles, but as its so cheap, my plan is every 6 months(about 3k miles) drop the oil(or pump out), new oil filter. Previous always had 1-2s of rattle before pressure was built up. 

Well left over night, so off for maybe 10hrs or so. Slight rattle for 0.5s max , so defo improved and temperature was quite low to, around 7-8oC ish. So not actually gone, but improved .

Thank you Steve for kind words😎, i'm always wary of boring people to death, as i am sure many have done similar over the years.  Hoping after Monday i will update with a sound vid of the miltek and a few pics! . 

I will say 100% its been a long long time since i have buzzed of a car and driving it about, in the years i have had quite a few performance type cars to. Fiesta turbo modded, sapphire cosworth, GSI2000 4x4, 200sx, impreza WRX etc. I am drawing many similarities to when i was 20 in 1995 and got my gun metal cosworth. Full leather, ford amp/stereo , just the package was awesome. This s4 makes me feel 20 again😀  I will add on a side note, the impreza was an awesome car for the near 4yrs of ownership. Defo not ruled out another at some point. Nothing compared in luxury/comfort to the s4(more raw), but a reliable car with a personality. Also the next best thing to a v8.......that flat 4 burble from uneven headers. 

I digress...

The chain rattle is still there but much shorter in time and not as pronounced. Timed it a few times and its defo under 1 second, before 1-2s. Thats colder starts or when stood for hours, if its warm, turned off then started, no rattle. So will update as time and miles go on. Not over concerned but it does not sit right with my brain! 

Roll on Monday afternoon😀

Chain is a tough one and for now just enjoy. Its well under 1 second of cold start noise which according to Audi is normal(engine pressure required to feed tensioners with oil, which drains off over time when engine off). Regular oil changes are key, so every 3k that will happen. Yes engine out, new tensioners(chains should be fine) etc will cost a pretty penny. But due to the design, it may start again within 20k or ???. There is no proper solution, so its a trait and i knew this prior to getting. I have read up almost endlessly to learn/build up a picture for myself. Going back to 2008, a 2004 with 30k on rattles for a second on start up!. So 16yrs down the line(mine) , maybe they have been done, maybe under warranty and had new tensioners 50k ago, who actually knows . I could contact Audi i guess, but then they might not have done the work(if its been done). Trouble is, the odds are definitely in favour of it returning due to the design. 

I will live with it for now, mainly because i know i could spend £3k+ for it to sound the same within a couple of years. A friend who uses his mates  garage (has rs4 with exact same noise to) are my back up to do the work if /when required. He said nothing to worry about, they all do it, the latter seems pretty true. He has owned a few s4's(avant and cab) along with the rs4 b7 for the last few years. In fact thinking back, an S or RS has been in his life for the last 10-15yrs. 

Have a great weekend, actually looking forward to going for a drive later........did i say i feel 20 again😀  Love it!

Little clean, having a little OCD my cars usually look clean all the time, washing a couple of times a week is not unheard of! Been using autoglyms wash and wax. Pretty easy as i hate anything to do with waxing etc. Wash with their shampoo, then whilst wet a couple of sprays of wax per panel. Panel at a time, microfibre x2, one to spread around panel, other to buff up. Works well and can do car in  20 mins total.......that makes a difference for me.

£20 on amazon, comes with sponge and 2x fibre cloths

cg95sCIl.jpg

I also use their leather care cream which works well .

vdStmkUl.jpg

q2fgioOl.jpg

VlvAul3l.jpg

LzZiQLcl.jpg

At last . the miltek is on, no resonators and GT100 tips. Love the sound, sounds awesome.  Maybe an hour to fit, the guy had a little OCD which i like, lining the tail caps up and getting perfect centre. Old zaust came off super easy, as Audi/bmw use double sleeves. However my plans to keep or even sell on did not go to plan. The centre hanger was almost rusted off, the pipes from cat to centre, almost rusted through. That exhaust would have unlikely made it through winter, but it is 16yrs old!.

Happy the car is under sealed, actually in good nick under which makes me happy. Not always easy to check, but as it spent a lot of its life garaged, it shows.

Anyway pics and a little vid that does no justice. Drone wise is not bad at all, had to drive back 12m which most is motorway. Little to no drone, foot down and growls!. Had a big grin like a kid driving home, thats when you know its a good decision😅

Old

auVf4qtl.jpg

VdUSt1vl.jpg

Hanger almost off(loose) and pipes rotted through

uMKthL3l.jpg

Zaust less

jgR7XXll.jpg

New on

cpljyW6l.jpg

with GT100 tips

O8D8PWYl.jpg

HJXFtBjl.jpg

Little vid that does no justice(dont think will play ;-(    )

8fZce5Ll.mp4

Cheers steve, made up with it. Even the other 1/2 loves it! She even asked to come out to listen before when taking my lad to his MMA gym. Certainly a lot more of a growl/snarl now. Lots of people looking round 50+ metres ahead😀

Did i say im like a big kid..............

New boots to go😄