Audi A4 B9 dash rattle/knocking sound passenger side

Omar A4 B9

Wondering if anyone is experiencing a rattle/knocking sound on the passenger side of the dash. It sounds like it's coming from the A pillar area but pressing down on the dash, vents and the A pillar does not resolve it. It only happens over rough surfaces and bumps and sounds like hard surfaces hitting each other. It's been into the dealers twice for several days and they've claimed to have resolved a clip issue in the door card and applied felt and lubricated the A pillar but the sound remains.

Here's a link to a video of the sound, any ideas? It's the only thing that is spoiling an otherwise great car.

It is so maddening taking it in for days and then being told it's fixed when it's not, I don't think I've got the stomach for it again. I was hoping someone has had a similar issue and there might be a simple fix. 

Thanks Steve, you are right I should take it back but I think they might just fob me off again. They won't provide a courtesy car so it's a real hassle leaving the car with them because my wife needs it to get to work. These are the sorts of jobs they hate, the really lengthy ones that are done under warranty. But overall I'm not impressed, it doesn't feel like you're dealing with a premium brand.

Unfortunately they won't provide a courtesy car because of COVID - I think some companies are using COVID as an excuse to downgrade their customer service, I know other companies that are providing courtesy cars. The cars just need a clean and they're ready for the next customer.

Hello Omar,

Sorry to hear of your issues. Possibly a pessimistic view, but it’s looking less likely that this is an issue which has affected other owners, so perhaps unfortunately, the answer may not come from the forum. 

I can understand your frustration, but I think you have to persevere with an Audi dealership, and it may be worth considering trying another one. 

Re. courtesy cars and Covid - yes, possibly linked to an excuse, but possibly understandable, since ‘just need a clean’ between customers is probably an understatement - cars will need a deep clean, and as I understand it, one major manufacturer was delaying the return of company cars, since they had identified over 50 possible contamination sites on a typical vehicle - all of which would need a thorough cleaning before reuse by anyone else. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm very pleased to say I finally resolved the rattle. I managed to recreate the sound while the car was stationary and after much trial and error I realised that pressing down hard on the dash near the A pillar and windscreen totally resolved the issue. I have a temporary fix in place (pic below) but will take it in to Audi for a proper fix. 

All the best,

Omar

Dash solution.jpg

• Like 1