EGR Valve Location Expertise Required

Leoz

Evening,

Hoping someone can offer their expertise and experience in the following re EGR valve location on 2010 1.6 TDI A3 sportback (8PA).

Coil light came on a few days ago, OBDII shows p403 code.

I do not want to delete the EGR but rather attempt clean of existing unit for carb build up.

I have struggled finding any YouTube videos or forum/other guidance on exactly where the EGR is on my particular engine. 

From my reading on the subject, some engines provide easy access to EGR at front of engine whilst others are much harder to get to at the back and involve extensive labour / involve also replacing other related parts (egr cooler etc).

Can one of you experienced folk help with regards to where the EGR is on my engine so I can determine whether it is possible to remove and clean myself (picture attached).

Hoping this will help others also as I have spent hours looking for info/forum threads that answer this specifically.

Thanks in advance,

Leo

IMG_20200824_114850.jpg

• 1 year later...

The EGR valve is the silver object towards the front of the picture with a plug on it and a silver tube coming off the right hand side. Pretty easy to remove. Start by disconnecting the electrical plug, then remove the silver tube on the right by. Then below the EGR valve is a rubber hose, remove this if you can (use a rag to then block the hole where the hose goes to stop you dropping anything down there) 

The EGR is held on with 3 star drive bolts. One at the front and two on each side, these can be fiddly to remove but not impossible. Also disconnect the dip stick tube from the side of the egr. 
where the metal tube on the right was there should be a cover plate held in place by two screws, remove this and take that part out to clean it. Mine was caked in carbon. You should be now able to clean your valve up. Good luck, it didn’t work for mine and I still have the same fault so fingers crossed for you 

3 hours ago, Gunner068 said:

The EGR valve is the silver object towards the front of the picture with a plug on it and a silver tube coming off the right hand side. Pretty easy to remove. Start by disconnecting the electrical plug, then remove the silver tube on the right by. Then below the EGR valve is a rubber hose, remove this if you can (use a rag to then block the hole where the hose goes to stop you dropping anything down there) 

The EGR is held on with 3 star drive bolts. One at the front and two on each side, these can be fiddly to remove but not impossible. Also disconnect the dip stick tube from the side of the egr. 
where the metal tube on the right was there should be a cover plate held in place by two screws, remove this and take that part out to clean it. Mine was caked in carbon. You should be now able to clean your valve up. Good luck, it didn’t work for mine and I still have the same fault so fingers crossed for you 

Hi hate to contradict but thats the throttle body the EGR is at the other end of the silver ribbed tube, the cr@p falls out of the tube down onto the throttle butterfly.

Steve.

19 hours ago, Gunner068 said:

Ahhh ok thank you! So in that case the EGR valve solenoid is the object just above the metal tube you mentioned? With the two rubber vacuum hoses coming out of it? 

Hi no the EGR is at the back halfway down the back of the engine its a large Valeo unit which is water cooled, its exactly the same as the ones used on the Mondeo DW12 engines, just pray they don't go wrong as they are a real mare to remove and you have to get the car in the air so you can get the bolts at the top and bottom but you have to remove half the engine bay to look at it, the unit itself is operated electrically from the PCM for the gas flow control but the bypass valve  is pneumatic and and gets clogged and throws a code after its managed to clog the main valve which burns out the electronic drive mechanism.

Steve.

13 hours ago, Gunner068 said:

Thanks Steve, I have a feeling that mine is clogged up, you wouldn’t happen to have a photo of it so I know what I’m looking for? From a diagnostic computer these are the fault codes 

2A988CD4-4414-406A-8B8A-12FBB24FCE20.jpeg

22DEEA96-5084-4CD7-B81E-29B2994CA7D4.jpeg

Hi from your diagnostic info I would say cleaning is not an option, replacement is the only cure after which the new unit will need re adapting, DO NOT ATTEMPT replacement yourself unless you have a very comprehensive tool facility and access to a four poster ramp as there is the worlds supply of stripping down both top and bottom furthermore I would replace the throttle body as I think thats probably shot if the vehicle has high milage its not worth cleaning as the control box is probably on its way out, this to will need re adapting otherwise they run like a bag of nails, I did my daughters one last year and its fairly easy with the right tools.

Steve. PS THIS IS THE EGR.

IMG_20220129_191635_resized_20220129_071657859.jpg

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Jbris said:

Hi all, 

did you find the cause of the issue? Experiencing it now. I’ve replaced the throttle valve but I still have the same concern.

Hi unless you have a code for a blocked EGR leave that bit alone as explained in previous post its not a diy job and needs a comprehensive strip down, the only reason for no end result to this problem is that like a lot of the new members the poster finds the info they need and never return.

Steve.