3.0TDI Low Oil Warning?

Rudis_Dad

I have 3.0TDI V6 A5 it's a 2008 model with the 242bhp CAPA motor, just over 107k on the clock.

In June this year I did a full service including changing the oil and filter. I put in 6.5 litres of the specified oil and thought nothing more of it.

For obvious reasons, since then the car has only done very short trips - I'm working from home and only need to nip into town now and again to do shopping, etc. - Typically no more than a 10-mile round trip.

However, a couple nights ago I had to go on a longer trip than usual - 60 miles or so, mainly motorway. On the return trip, about 20 miles from home, I got a yellow oil warning light, and a message "Top up oil, 1L minimum - you may continue driving". Now bear in mind that the car has done less than 1200 miles since June...

So I got home, let the car sit for 10-15 minutes, and dipped the oil. Admittedly, it was a bit low - so I thought OK, maybe I've not put enough in when I've done the service and it hasn't got thoroughly warm since, so it won't have got into all areas of the engine properly. So I topped it up with 1 litre, left it overnight, dipped it again the morning....only to find that it's right up to maximum on the dipstick! That said, the fault has cleared but I'm lead to believe that it clears anyway when you open the bonnet in any case?

Now I haven't driven the car since, and I may be looking for things that aren't there, but is this an issue with this engine? It's not leaking oil and there's no oil in the coolant (or vice-versa), the cars running fine with no loss of power and is a quiet as anything, so I'm hoping it's just a minor aberration, but I've read horror stories about oil pumps failing, etc and I'd rather know now than before it's too late....

Hello John,

Can we take it that the car was not using any oil prior to the oil and filter change - your write up suggests it didn’t, but it would be great to have confirmation? 

We take it that following the oil change and start up, you ensured the level was up to the max. mark- after standing for say10mins after start up? 

If the answer to both is Yes, then obviously this car has strangely started to consume oil at the rate of around 700 miles to the pint.

Why?? What has changed:- Oil - Brand used (and viscosity)? 

Filter - brand used? 

Kind regards,

Gareth.