Uphill starts - Juddering

Hoggy1972

Hi, 

I've recently purchased a 2012 3.0TDI Avant S-Line with about 90k miles and FSH. The car is lovely but seems to have one issue which is a judder when you try and pull away uphill. If you are stationary with the handbrake on and you go to accelerate there is a judder as if there is no gear selected, then after a few seconds it feels as if the gear is selected quite aggressively and then the car pulls away.

It only happens on uphill starts. It was particularly prominent last week when i was towing a caravan out of a caravan site. There was a slight uphill slope with speed bumps and as i slowed down to a stop over one of the speedhumps the juddering started and the car/caravan actually started rolling backwards before it again dropped into gear. A bit alarming. Looking at the service book there is a tick against the gearbox oil change about 5000 miles/6 months ago so it looks like it's got relatively new oil in it.

Has anyone else had this, and is there a solution/fix or technique to avoid it?

Cheers

Tim

If it's a 7-speed S-tronic auto, your best bet is to talk to Milta in Bristol . These guys are experts in DSG gearboxes.

All gearboxes have oil. 

It could be the clutch pack or the mechatronic unit on the auto. The clutch packs can be either dry (sealed for life, no oil required) or wet (advised servicing every 37,000 miles) depending on the model&year.

From the websites 

"Despite the advantages it offered, such as smoothness and improved fuel efficiency, the multitronic system experienced malfunctions. The multitronic transmission faced electronic glitches and mechanical issues. Models that feature the six-plate clutch pack that was introduced before or around 2006 were particularly affected.

Symptoms Include

• Flashing gear selector (PRNDS indicator) on the dashboard
  • Hesitation and/or shuddering during acceleration
  • Inability to select reverse gear

Audi recommends CVT transmission fluid changes at 35,000 and 75,000 miles, however despite this, in some cases transmission failures still occurred even when abiding by the recommended fluid changes"

I would still speak to Milta first. 

Check the service history at an Audi dealer. Almost 90,000 miles is way too late for the fluid change - it's really chancing it.

Did you but the car from a dealer. Maybe call the previous owner and ask whether he was aware of the problem.

• Like 1

Hello Tim,

Enfield Tom seems to have provided some useful advice and background, and asks whether you bought it from a dealer or privately. If from a dealer, then it’s reasonable to expect that it should be fit for purpose. Even if bought privately, it must still be as described in the advertisement. 

Depending on your views on progressing the issue down this route, will dictate whether a trip down M4 to Bristol may be worthwhile. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi,

It was bought about 3 weeks ago from a independent dealer so i'm keen to understand if this is something that other owners have experienced and is a known issue with the car, or whether my car specifically has a problem. The car has a 6 month warranty so any repairs could/should be covered. Bristol isn't too far away, but just keen to establish if this is 'normal'. The rest of the time the gearbox is smooth as butter, its just in this one scenario of uphill starts.

It depends how bad the judder is. Many of the 7-speed S-tronic boxes have an very mild judder on take-off and are then as smooth as butter.

I'd still make that phone call and describe the symptoms to the experts. 

Audi will probably try to sell you another gearbox.☹️

OK Tim,

Although it’s great to be seeking advice via. the forum, it’s your (in caps) car which you have concerns about - irrespective of whether others experience similar issues or not. Question is - are you prepared to live with this issue? The buck really stops there. If you are fine, if not, then you are going to have to progress the resolution. Unfortunately, no one else can make that decision for you or make progress    for you. 

If it were mine:- 

I would be speaking with the Bristol company, explaining your concerns and asking their advice on whether this is ‘normal’ and liveable-with. If they advise it is not, then they make be able to suggest the cost of rectifying the probes.

Armed with this information, I would then e-mail the dealer principal, outlining your concerns and formally registering a discontent. 

Of course, you may wish to await further information via. the forum, but to me, that would just be delaying making progress.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Written while John was replying.

47 minutes ago, Magnet said:

OK Tim,

Although it’s great to be seeking advice via. the forum, it’s your (in caps) car which you have concerns about - irrespective of whether others experience similar issues or not. Question is - are you prepared to live with this issue? The buck really stops there. If you are fine, if not, then you are going to have to progress the resolution. Unfortunately, no one else can make that decision for you or make progress    for you. 

If it were mine:- 

I would be speaking with the Bristol company, explaining your concerns and asking their advice on whether this is ‘normal’ and liveable-with. If they advise it is not, then they make be able to suggest the cost of rectifying the probes.

Armed with this information, I would then e-mail the dealer principal, outlining your concerns and formally registering a discontent. 

Of course, you may wish to await further information via. the forum, but to me, that would just be delaying making progress.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Written while John was replying.

Thanks Gareth. I guess i was just trying to establish from some other Audi Multi-tronic gearbox users if this was something that they had experienced as well and therefore something of a 'known issue' with these cars, or whether it was a specific issue with my car. If its a known issue then i'd probably be more inclined to live with it, but if it was something that had not presented itself to other Multi-tronic owners then i'd probably be more likely to seek out professional advice meaning hassle and ££.

Cheers