Coolant Leak

Loboferoz

The service light came up on my A5 so I booked a service and left the car in. The garage informed me that it was an oil change service I needed and would cost £190.00 no problem so far.  When I went back to get my car I was then informed that I had a coolant leak and that they would be reluctant to let the car leave the garage until they would get it fixed and it would probably be there until the following Monday that would be 5 days I would be without my car.

According to the garage I needed a new thermostat and housing, the crunch was that the repair would cost £1200.00 now that is quite a lot of Wonga for someone who is retired. I told them that I could not do without my car for that amount of time and I would have to plan for that length of stay in the garage, and would they show me where the problem was.

Sorry this is long winded. The facts: I have never had any warnings on the car that I was losing coolant.

I had washed the car the day before the service and was under the bonnet at that point the coolant was just above the minimum mark and would have needed toped up.   

The mechanic showed me the fault. If I am standing at the front of the car a hose coming out the bottom of the radiator right hand side and runs up to just below and behind the alternator  where it joins a rectangular connection at the point of connection there is evidence of a white salty powder (small deposits not a lot of it). No evidence of any liquid leaking anywhere.

I have checked the car both hot and cold and still see no liquid leaking

I noticed that they had filled the coolant reservoir right up to the top so that it would hold no more.

My first question is does coolant expand when heated and if so would this not put the system under pressure thus causing problems in itself.

Would a very small amount of this white powder (dried coolant I assume) be more indicative of a weep rather than a leak be such an issue.

I have driven the car 40 miles and notice no drop in the coolant level. I am left wondering why all the fuss about not letting the car leave the garage

Sorry about the length of this post but I would appreciate some comments / advice. Thank You

loboferoz

Hello Jack,

What we know:- the coolant level pre-service was near to the min. mark when it shouldn’t be, so there had been some coolant leak over a period of time - when did you last check it? 

Powdered deposits ( normally pinkish) are indicative of coolant seepage. Full blown leaks would show up as that, so by your description, it sounds as if you have a minor weep/leak. 

Consequence? Leave it and it’s likely to get worse. Get this garage ( main dealer?) to fix it at the quoted price? I wouldn’t, without seeking a second opinion from another trusted local garage. 

Coolant tank filled to the top? Not desirable. If I were mine, I would be reducing the level to the max. mark when cold - this can be done with an old battery electrolyte tester where you squeeze a rubber bulb and it sucks up fluid. Once it’s back to the max. mark, you can monitor the amount of coolant loss. 

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Gareth thank you for your reply, I bought this car new 4 years past at the end of July. in that time I have never added coolant  to the reservoir. I have always assumed that this was something that would need done from time to time and it would be toped up at  a service by the garage. I will seek a second opinion from another garage asap. in the meantime I will remove the excess coolant, ( I knew that the Turkey baster the wife bought would come in handy for something) and monitor how much fluid I am losing. once again thank you  for the speedy reply.

Jack

Turkey blaster? Superb Jack

Checking fluid levels between services? It’s a good insurance to set a routine of checking oil, coolant, brake fluid and washer fluid once a month, and before embarking on a reasonable long journey. All levels should be checked when cold - say first thing in the morning. 

Yes, I would be talking with another recommended garage and getting an independent opinion on the severity of this, and a costing for getting it sorted - if necessary.

Kind regards,

Gareth.