Help importing EU car to UK - dealing with DVLA, etc

Ilia Mandev

Hello everyone,

Please excuse me if I'm posting in the wrong forum. I'm a Bulgarian citizen who came to UK last September for a planned 5 months stay, that got pretty prolonged now. I came with my Audi A3, started importing procedures just when the COVID struck and need to finish this now.

So far I've used the NOVA service and ordered the V55/5 form, but reading further I'll have to prove the year of manufacturing - something that I don't know how to do. I have my original ownership document, that has this info, but instructions say that if sent it will not be returned, and not to send any copied documents.

The car is 2007, the VIN is wauzzz8p37a150933

The instructions mentioned that the year of manufacture can be confirmed by an enthusiasts club or the manufacturer itself - I kind of fail to imagine writing to AUDI in Germany with such a request, but maybe it's doable.

So my big request is for any tips, instructions, etc on how to complete the process!

Please send any questions that arise.

Best regards,
Ilia.

Hello Llia,

Have you tried visiting a local Audi dealership and asking there. I wouldn’t ask at reception, but ask to see their parts advisor. The Parts Dept, may well be able to give you a build date from your VIN. 

I wouldn’t try doing this over the telephone. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth,

Thank you very much for the reply and the suggestion - so I went Friday noon to one of the two local dealerships, guys were very helpful but also facing this for the first time.

They searched all databases they can access, but the VIN turned out nowhere - seems like they have access to list of cars that were either manufactured for the UK market or already being registered in UK.
At the end they advised me to email Audi UK - which I did and received a quick reply that the document needed is a Certificate of Conformity (CoC) and to email VIN number and full address (seems they mail it) to:

type.approval@vwg.co.uk

I did that too and am now waiting for the reply - will keep you posted.

Best regards,
Ilia.

• Like 1