Car wont start

Jack#

Jack.

That belt is far too loose and is clearly jumping sprocket teeth. Since the belt also drives the camshaft there is a real risk of damaging the valves or the piston crowns, which would entail a horrendously expensive repair bill. Do not attempt to run the engine, or even turn it over on the starter, until it has been put right. If that means towing it to a garage or workshop, so be it, but the engine must not be run.

• Like 2

Hello Jack,

You thread title says the car won’t start. 

Do you mean it did when you took the video, but it doesn’t now? Who fitted the water pump, and was the belt and tensioner renewed at the same time? What was the history regarding the need to change the water pump, and what make pump was fitted. 

If this were mine, I would be following Cliff’s advice to the T, and treating that advice as if it was written in all capitals - but if indeed it now won’t start - as your thread title says- is it already too late? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

12 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Jack,

You thread title says the car won’t start. 

Do you mean it did when you took the video, but it doesn’t now? Who fitted the water pump, and was the belt and tensioner renewed at the same time? What was the history regarding the need to change the water pump, and what make pump was fitted. 

If this were mine, I would be following Cliff’s advice to the T, and treating that advice as if it was written in all capitals - but if indeed it now won’t start - as your thread title says- is it already too late? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

So the seal on the water pump had gone. I had a new one fitted (genuine) by a friend who works beadles , i drove it home that day and it did sound loud when running , the next day i went to start it and decided to record the video. I havent touched it since

Friend or not, I'm sorry to say that he has not fitted the belt correctly, and my advice stands. You have not answered Gareth's questions about whether the belt and tensioner were also renewed. 

The curious thing is that the water pump is normally changed as a pre-emptive measure when the cam belt is changed because of the difficulty, and hence cost, of access to the belt.

• Like 1

Im not sure so basically i bought the car 3months ago and the garage that had sold me the car had already changed the waterpump, they hadnt done it properly eitheir and had managed to bust the seal on installing it. 

Hello Jack,

I feel for your predicament, but this isn’t altogether making sense. Bursting a water pump seal on fitting? Just doesn’t happen, since the seal is internal, although if you are talking the gasket O ring that seals the pump to the engine block, then that does make sense. If that is what you mean, then getting this wrong  is just plain incompetence. 

Your pal fitting a belt (and new water pump?) and setting the tension at what it appears? Again - sorry, but complete incompetence once more. 

If (in caps) you’ve got away with this, then it would really be worth thinking carefully about who you are choosing to work on this car going forward. A reputable and trusted local garage may be your best bet. 

If it were mine, and you’ve got away with the incompetence so far, then I would also be thinking about the quality of parts which are going to be used in this very critical application. I would be renewing the belt and it’s associated tensioner, together with a quality water pump - since goodness knows what has been fitted so far. If you are not using genuine dealer parts (at discount) then I would use a cambelt  and water pump kit by Gates ( no exceptions). 

Hope some of this helps you Jack.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi jack## I have similar problem I had coolent leak turns out it was egr cooler controll flap got a new unit fitted with new gasket and bolts it don't leak no more but two weeks later on yesterday morning turns over but won't start seems like it's not getting fuel plenty in tank though .hope you get yours sorted .If any one out there could could offer any guidance to me it would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance .

Edited by Rinkle Tinkle
Sorry as I'm new to forum just need a bit of advice on where to look first