A3 1.6 FIRST CAR - NEED SOME ADVICE

RF154

Hi, just wondering what people think about an A3 1.6 as a first car. Excusing cost and insurance what do people think about the idea? What mileage do A3's generally last and what year should I go for? Thanks, any comments appreciated

A first car for whom? A teenager that has just passed his test has a high chance of smashing the car within a year so it makes sense to get the cheapest car available until the adrenaline levels have dropped. On the other hand an older experienced driver needs to decide what he intends to use the car for, whether that be a shopping trolley, a commuter vehicle, a school taxi etc. It's all a matter of personal choice.

Hello Raith,

Welcome to the forum. 

As Cliff says, we really do want more detail here, and the fundamental question I would ask is - what is your intended budget. As you can see from my profile, I might be able to pass on my experiences of a 1.6 A3, but it depends what end of the scale your wallet is dictating or will accommodate. 

Have you seen (on line or in the flesh) something which might be of interest? 

It would be great if you could give us a good bit more to go on Raith.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi, a first car for a teenager. I found a 2005 AUDI A3 SPECIAL EDITION 1.6L Petrol 3DR Manual on AutoTrader with insurance from £1,350. It doesn't have to be specifically this model and I still have a while till I would buy it but just looking at what options are available. Not looking to spend more than £3,000 and would much rather be closer to the 2,000 - 2,500 (car + insurance) but of course need a balance of a cheap car and a long-lasting, good condition car. I am very level headed, calm in stressful situations and sensible so although of course I can't predict the future, I feel I would be much less likely than other first drivers to crash. Would be used for everyday commuting, no particular needs on size or boot space etc. Thanks

Railthe.

If you can find 15 year A3 in good condition and within your budget snap it up. The important point there is good condition, meaning well maintained and with a full service history. Anything less will likely land you with some expensive repair bills in the near future, and believe me Audi repairs are very expensive. Of course if you can do your own maintenance that will help a lot in keeping costs down. Gareth in particular can advise on that aspect.

Having said that, I do feel that a Nissan Micra would be a better first choice. It would be cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, cheaper to insure, and cheaper to maintain. I do appreciate that a Micra has just about zero appeal compared to an Audi. It's up to you to decide on the balance between practicality and appeal.

Yes, at first I was going to get something that is just economical to buy, insure and run however how I see it is, if I invest in a car I genuinely love then I will be more caring with it and will want to keep it for a long while before getting a second car. I am still considering the option of just getting a really economical car for first year to get a year's NCD then go onto something nicer and more appealing but just looking at my options. Thanks. 

Hello Raith, 

Apologies - its probably me, but I’m still not absolutely clear re the specific detail and who is who in terms of the writing. It has been said that the car is for a teenager ( written by you, the dad?) yet the latest post appears to be written as if you are the teenager ...”I will be more caring with it....’ etc. 

Anyway Raith, whatever, as Cliff suggests, teenagers will only be interest in what is ‘cool’, or whatever the term is, and I guess any Audi will be considered to be that. Fact:- Most Audi’s will be in a higher insurance category than other smaller ‘less desirable’ marques, but you are probably in a better position than most to appreciate that when buying at the budget end of the market, the cost of insurance is likely to be on a par with the purchase price. If you spent more to buy, the insurance will still represent a fair proportion of the on the road cost. The first year formula is to buy an old low insurance category car such as Cliff suggests - or even better an ageing low mileage Metro or similar, simply to gain some claim free ground. Selling that idea to a teenager?? Good luck. 

Not being personal, but the best way to sell that idea is via.the teenager’s self financing (obviously by earning the funds). Aspirations are  then generally governed! 

Now back to your 2005 A3 1.6 on Autotrader for £1350 with insurance. Is this seriously the case? Does it mean if you pay them £1350, you will be able to buy that car complete with a year’s free insurance for your teenager? Really? If so, just buy it, since I would be surprised if the insurance alone will cost you that. 

How mechanical savvy are you Raith? If not very much, then the first thing to concentrate on will be finding an adviser who will inspect for you. 

A3 special edition 1.6 in general? Ours has been in the family from new and is now just sub 160K and fair do s has done everything which is asked if it, but it has been well cared for mechanically. Beware Audi’s are favoured by - enthusiastic drivers - so at the other end of the scale you are going to come across thrashed examples as well. You need to be able to tell the difference. 

Think of a first car as simply a NCB earner, not a long term keeper, since the teenager will get fed up with it anyway. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

1 hour ago, Magnet said:

Hello Raith, 

Apologies - its probably me, but I’m still not absolutely clear re the specific detail and who is who in terms of the writing. It has been said that the car is for a teenager ( written by you, the dad?) yet the latest post appears to be written as if you are the teenager ...”I will be more caring with it....’ etc. 

Anyway Raith, whatever, as Cliff suggests, teenagers will only be interest in what is ‘cool’, or whatever the term is, and I guess any Audi will be considered to be that. Fact:- Most Audi’s will be in a higher insurance category than other smaller ‘less desirable’ marques, but you are probably in a better position than most to appreciate that when buying at the budget end of the market, the cost of insurance is likely to be on a par with the purchase price. If you spent more to buy, the insurance will still represent a fair proportion of the on the road cost. The first year formula is to buy an old low insurance category car such as Cliff suggests - or even better an ageing low mileage Metro or similar, simply to gain some claim free ground. Selling that idea to a teenager?? Good luck. 

Not being personal, but the best way to sell that idea is via.the teenager’s self financing (obviously by earning the funds). Aspirations are  then generally governed! 

Now back to your 2005 A3 1.6 on Autotrader for £1350 with insurance. Is this seriously the case? Does it mean if you pay them £1350, you will be able to buy that car complete with a year’s free insurance for your teenager? Really? If so, just buy it, since I would be surprised if the insurance alone will cost you that. 

How mechanical savvy are you Raith? If not very much, then the first thing to concentrate on will be finding an adviser who will inspect for you. 

A3 special edition 1.6 in general? Ours has been in the family from new and is now just sub 160K and fair do s has done everything which is asked if it, but it has been well cared for mechanically. Beware Audi’s are favoured by - enthusiastic drivers - so at the other end of the scale you are going to come across thrashed examples as well. You need to be able to tell the difference. 

Think of a first car as simply a NCB earner, not a long term keeper, since the teenager will get fed up with it anyway. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth, 

I am the one looking into the cars before I come to buy one. 

Not looking for a A3 Special Edition 1.6, more so just any A3 1.6. The car was roughly £2,250 with insurance costs included. In practice I haven't done much in terms of servicing, I have changed wheels whilst broken down but not much else. I know how to perform many maintenance tasks via YouTube and online etc. Would happily do maintenance jobs on my own accord rather than at a garage. 

I will look into the difference in costs between an A3 and an economical car for NCD time. 

Thanks

Raith

Hello Raith, 

Thanks Raith,

Perhaps my brain isn’t switched on, but £1350 with insurance now comes to ‘roughly’ £2250 with insurance.

Basics Raith, Have you had an independent insurance quote for this car - to establish how much you are actually paying for the car? 

Also, are you certain that this ‘with insurance’ deal does equate to covering your teenager insurance requirements? Some  - many? understandably have age limits. 

If you want rather more chapter and verse re the A3 1.6 Special Edition then I can bore you with that, but obviously I don’t want to go to those lengths unless you are at the point of purchase. 

Not wishing this to sound critical, but changing a wheel doesn’t score very high in the mechanical knowledge scale, and it’s great to learn, but to me, what you need now above anything else is some on the spot expertise inspection back up, to look at whatever you are tempted to fancy. Personally, I think you are in ‘getting done’ territory without that back up, irrespective of what marque or age of car that will be of interest.

Having said all that, my bet is your broader brush approach to what to buy will be governed by what your teenager is prepared to own! 

Sounds like Cliff has been there done it - along with myself to some extent! 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

2 hours ago, Magnet said:

Sounds like Cliff has been there done it - along with myself to some extent! 

O yes, albeit half a century ago. My father was a motor mechanic and taught me much of what I know. The first car I bought cost £40, and after some fettling I drove it to Greece and back! It blew a core plug going over the Alps, and the dynamo (remember them?) also failed, but we sorted it and carried on. Happy days.

Informative days Cliff, and of course problems were fixable then, as opposed to plugins it to a diagnostic system and trying to work out causes from effects! 

£40 paid for the first car eh? I bet you wish you had that in your garage now Cliff. Probably sell for a mall fortune now. 

Great days, and I could do something with the hair I had then! 

To return to somewhere near the theme of the original post, insurance is now comparatively cheap in relation to what it was 40/50 years ago, when taken a % of the weekly wage . Perhaps unbelievable but true. I hear tones of disbelief, but....

Good luck to Raith in finding what his teenager considers is ‘acceptable’! 

Kind regards,

Gareth,