A3 engine opinions

Robd263

Hi all

New hear, so hello.

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything in the search.

I've ordered the new A3 s-line in a 1.0 TFSI 30 engine. It turns up in two weeks, so I'm inside my "cooling off" period. I'm now getting concerned that 110bhp may be a bit sluggish.

I'm no petrol head. Most of my driving will be short journeys, with the odd motorway journey every couple of months. Unfortunately, no deals near me have the 1.0 to test, only the 1.5. So I was hoping someone on here may've driven the two and could give an opinion on whether the 1.0 feels under powered or not.

I know the difference is only 2 seconds in the 0-60. And that any opinion is of course subjective. But I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has driven it, or even better driven both. I just want something that will still be fun to drive, I know neither is near the hot hatch spec, and that's not what I want. But I dont want to feel completely powerless.

It's a three year lease, and I dont want to regret my decision.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Hello Rob,

It’s probably me being rather old in the tooth, but it seems you have agreed to be committed to own a car for 3 years, which you haven’t actually test driven. Um? Now, understandably Rob, you are trying to get subjective opinion which might support that decision. Please ignore my interpretation is If is considered to be rather off the mark -or somewhat direct - which it indeed probably is. I would equate this to agreeing to remain married for 3 years to someone you have seen once, but really know nothing about - but she looks good, and is ‘cheap’. 

Hopefully you will get some experienced opinion from the forum - I really hope you do within the cooling off period - and this will put your mind at rest. 

Good luck and kind regards, 

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth

Correct, I have made that decision.And put like that, it does seem a bit absurd I grant you 🙂. However, I've never test driven a car I've bought before. Odd I know, but I'm not sure you get a huge amount out of a 20 min spin round the block. That said, I would test drive this one, but I simply cant find anywhere that has one I can test.

My current family car I've had for two years. I looked inside it, but never drove it before committing, and love it. But with that one, I found a number of reviews of the particular engine I bought, but I can't find any of the 1.0 A3. Which I why I was hoping for some other opinions from people on here. I'm more interested in the car interior when I buy. And the S line with the comfort and sounds pack looks awesome. But I just wish I had a bit more info about the engine.

Cheers

Rob

Hello Rob, 

Thank goodness we are all different, and I applaud your views on being prepared to commit to live with a car for 3 years biased on taking a liking to the car’s interior, and indeed that view has stood you in good stead over the years. You can’t knock that. Probably wouldn’t do for the majority, but....

Even a 20 minute ‘spin around the block’ will surely give a potential owner a feel for the car’s performance and ride, and it now follows that this car’s performance must now be in question in your mind, and I just wonder how much other owner’s views will go towards actually reversing your decision if their experience is not too positive. No doubt they will be positive and all will be fine.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 2 weeks later...