New tyres

ThomasG

Ok, just driven around Scotland from the Borders to John o'Groats, round to Tongue, down to Ullapool, through Glencoe and back through the Trossachs. Sitting on zoom meetings was doing my head in. So I just took off for three days. Some wonderful roads, some not as much. And too many caravans and camper vans. 

However...

I have my MOT in Wednesday and the tyres seem fine, but I am sure they will need changing this side of new year. What recommendations does anyone have?

I have Michelin Pilots on at the mo, but thinking of going to the Bridgestone Eagle asymmetric. Just for the tiny MPG increase. 

Potenzas? I used to have those on my TVR

IMG_20200928_094408_524.jpg

Hello Thomas,

I don’t think I can help you very much with this, but here goes, pending other replies:- 

Our owned-from-new modest A3 came with Michelin tyres, and were replaced with the same over many miles, before being replaced with a couple of Continentals a couple of years ago. These didn’t last as long as the Michelin, and have just been replaced - back to Michelin. For us, we simply need quality tyres which give the highest mileage, and are not into the finer balance of trading off wear for ability to corner at speed. Michelin fits the bill - for us. One thing I would say is that they tend to get noisier as they wear. Most tyres do? 

It’s interesting to note that you are considering changing Michelin for Bridgestone on an expectation of them lasting longer. Bridgestone  will last longer than Michelin? Don’t know, but I think such claims are best dealt with via. personal experience rather than any manufacturer’s claim. No doubt someone will come along and offer you specific advice. Of course, another consideration is actual cost vs. anticipated life. If Bridgestone do tend to last longer than Michelins - how do the prices compare, but it’s not always all about money. 

Kind regards, 

Gareth. 

I am running Avon ZV7 - great on grip less on fuel economy - extremely quiet too. May not get the mileage of some options but always a trade off between grip and longevity.