2019 A6 C8 Black Edition Window Trim

WayneT

Hi,

I've got a 69 reg A6 Avant Black Edition 1year old with 15k miles and have had the following issue develop.

The black trim that surrounds the windows has started to develop clear parts, most noticeable on the rear offside upright, but also on every corner and the folded leading edges. I've attached some photos to help show this. The front grill, exhausts trims, rear tailgate black strip or the plastic door pieces have not developed this issue.

It's the 3rd black edition I've owned, the other 2 being the A4 Avant and never seen this before. No change to cleaning products, equipment or technics.

Anyone seen this before or have any ideas? It's currently with Audi for a warranty consideration, but I'm worried I'm going to be told it's something I've done when I know that's not the case. It was the first Black Edition this dealership had sold in the new model and I'm wondering if others are starting to see a similar issue.

Many thanks

IMG_20201008_103454.thumb.jpg.e775c02d7685464080b5588d5737d9fd.jpgIMG_20201008_103418.thumb.jpg.17baca57c5643e11a2b06ca3d31a41c9.jpg

IMG_20201008_103406.thumb.jpg.3ee5d04293be67bb3bb25b6293f078b5.jpg

IMG_20201008_103200.thumb.jpg.5faf17ea5e8b0176bb1a07960e4f2183.jpgIMG_20200926_164621.thumb.jpg.2c2375a0e6448e4adf2228fccd349bf0.jpg

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for taking the time to look and reply.

It's cleaned ca. every 6 weeks. Maybe 7/8 washes in total.

Maguire's or Finesse products.

Hose rinse, 2 bucket - clean water and soap water (sheep wool mit), rinse off. Hand dry with microfiber towel. tyre dressing applied. Once waxed when new, Waxed again ready for winter all by hand. I don't own any machine polishers.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 10/4/2021 at 8:44 AM, GNB said:

Would also be interested if you had a response from Audi as I have a 2021 A6 with the same issue. 

Ditto, end of may this year - demonstrater with 2k miles on it, osr quarter light window surround doing this

I went into the dealers today to speak with them but was told that the member of staff that deals with warranty issues was off sick until next Friday and no one else was prepared to take a look despite the car being less than 50 yards from where they were all sat. Told to come back next week. Great Audi service!

I’ll update once I hear anything, in the meantime it would be good if we could update this post with our progress as it’s evidence to show each dealer that Audi had a quality issue here.

6 minutes ago, GNB said:

I went into the dealers today to speak with them but was told that the member of staff that deals with warranty issues was off sick until next Friday and no one else was prepared to take a look despite the car being less than 50 yards from where they were all sat. Told to come back next week. Great Audi service!

I’ll update once I hear anything, in the meantime it would be good if we could update this post with our progress as it’s evidence to show each dealer that Audi had a quality issue here.

Guys,

I had mine in with warranty and they stated it was an “outside influence” which had caused this ie machine polisher/buffer.  I bought ex demo 3k miles.  

I also supplied them with the tech bulletin in thread but still no movement.  Poor from Audi tbh!

Adam

I've not been back to the dealers yet and nor have I found a UK version of the Technical Bulletin, but I have found an update on the previous one. The difference is now that they accept the discolouration may be metallic in appearance and so not polished within and inch of its life as one dealer has suggested to a previous member.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10181815-0001.pdf

On 10/15/2021 at 1:54 PM, GNB said:

I've not been back to the dealers yet and nor have I found a UK version of the Technical Bulletin, but I have found an update on the previous one. The difference is now that they accept the discolouration may be metallic in appearance and so not polished within and inch of its life as one dealer has suggested to a previous member.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10181815-0001.pdf

Thank you for sharing this Gregg, I will use this when I take my car in for them to look at in middle of November if they try and not cover it under warranty 🙂

I took my car into the dealers on Thursday and the warranty woman took a look and took photographs to send to Audi. I also gave her a copy of the last Technical Bulletin I posted and told her that it was a US Technical Document. She said she would take a look at it and see if there was a UK version and call me with the outcome in due course.

I got a phone call from the dealer this morning saying that Audi had accepted that the trim is fading and to replace it under warranty. The car is now booked in. Hope with that document and your request that your own dealer speak with Audi and not just dismiss it themselves, that Audi should now accept your claims. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GNB said:

I took my car into the dealers on Thursday and the warranty woman took a look and took photographs to send to Audi. I also gave her a copy of the last Technical Bulletin I posted and told her that it was a US Technical Document. She said she would take a look at it and see if there was a UK version and call me with the outcome in due course.

I got a phone call from the dealer this morning saying that Audi had accepted that the trim is fading and to replace it under warranty. The car is now booked in. Hope with that document and your request that your own dealer speak with Audi and not just dismiss it themselves, that Audi should now accept your claims. Good luck.

Hi Gregg,

Thanks for the update that is good news; which dealer is that please?

(Will bode well for others that are part of the same dealership group)

Cheers,

Lee

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2021 at 5:20 PM, GNB said:

I went to JCT600 but it was Audi UK that approved it.

And an update on mine, took into Manchester Audi and it has been approved; parts on order.

Strangely they said it comes as a kit with glass that I find hard to believe.....

Mine was just the NSR quarter window, was however the side edge on the OSF door at bottom of the window going but they said not enough of the trim gone to be covered.......   guess will see if it gets worse; could not be bothered to argue it.

Maybe if a few get approved a UK TSB will be issued making it easier for others.

• Like 1

Good to hear another one being approved. Mine was on four trims, three doors and a quarter window and was due to be done last Friday, but one part on back order so still waiting. Not sure if the quarter window is new glass as or not. Fingers crossed for every else’s issues. 

• 1 month later...

Just an update. All faulty trims now replaced. Dealer had to get Autoglass in to remove rear quarter light windows but a decent job done.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

interesting i raised with my local dealer concerns about the low paint quality on these exact trims (my car is less than 6 months old) i had it taken to a detailer whom measured all the paint depths using two tools. the paint depth on the trims was shockingly low and the quality of paint was poor. it scratched just running a finger nail across it.

Audi Warranty refused to accept any claim, I have had it logged for future complaint as i believe the same is likely to happen... image attached is my car's trims at 2 weeks old, 97 miles on the clock.

thumbnail_IMG_5051.jpg