Ticking/Tapping Noise Accelerating and Steering

rretty

Hi all,

New to the forum looking for some advice or help in diagnosing. Have noticed (mainly when the window is down) a strange clicking/tapping noise when accelerating and steering. I have attached a video of what i mean. From the little knowledge i have and research i've come to the conclusion its most likely the outer CV joint but thought it would be worth asking around if anyone has maybe come across this before themselves?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 7 months later...

Unfortunately Dean, the original poster joined the forum and last visited it, all on the same day, so I would suggest you PM him, and perhaps you would then be kind enough to post the outcome. 
Many thanks and kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hello Dean,

I’m sure you will appreciate that it’s virtually impossible to diagnose the actual cause of any noise without being able to inspect the vehicle - a bit like asking the dentist to explain why you have toothache in a particular tooth, without him being able to examine your teeth. 
Can we take it you did PM the original poster, but he did not reply? 
Obviously the car is trying to tell you something, and if this were mine, I would be booking it in to a trusted local garage, who will be able to inspect it, and should come up with a diagnosis. 
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 5/27/2021 at 3:59 PM, Dean Summers said:

I'm guessing that know body on here has had the same issue, I've put a new post up with the same issue and used this video but no response from anyone🤬🤬🤬

I have the same issue on mine.

Only ticks away on acceleration but it's getting worse.

• 7 months later...

Hi there, that's exactly the issue I have with my 2017 Audi A4 2.0D, it mainly happens when I'm accelerating and turning to my right (as in the video). It seems related to the engine rev speed too and not the speed of the wheels spinning. Did anyone find out what this issue was?

Edited by Catch
correction

1 hour ago, Catch said:

Hi there, that's exactly the issue I have with my 2017 Audi A4 2.0D, it mainly happens when I'm accelerating and turning to my right (as in the video). It seems related to the engine rev speed too and not the speed of the wheels spinning. Did anyone find out what this issue was?

Hi its most likely the outer CV joint the boots on them frequently fail and let all the grease out, the boots are crap I am now on my third set of shafts which I bought second hand from an older vehicle touch wood they seem to be standing up better than the originals did, there are about seven Avants licensed as cabs in my area ranging from 2014 to 2019 all have reported the same problem.

Steve.