Cam belt change duration V6 TDI

hugo1111

Hello,

I am the lucky owner of a 98 A6 avant 2.5 tdi, which has effortlessly driven for 477 777km, with very little problems i couldn´t  fix with the great help of forums and Youtube. Still on the original clutch, turbo, injectors, injection pump. Best thing i ve ever bought !

My usual mechanic not being available, i gave it this WE to a recommended mechanic who is going to:

- Replace cam belt and it´s respective tensioners

- Accessories belt and tensioners.

- A/C belt

- Water pump

-Thermostat.

- Coolant (obviously)

Slightly worried as I am paying per hour (instead of agreeing a price before hand).

For those who have done this, or might be working as a mechanic, what time would allocate for such job ?

Much appreciate your answers.

Cheers

Hugo

Hello Hugo, and welcome to the forum. 

You raise a good question and hopefully someone with access to a trade system should be able to help you out, by letting you know the  scheduled time for these jobs. 

Personally, I wouldn’t use a mechanic who won’t give you a price for the job, since he either doesn’t know the work involved - so hasn’t done it before, or he might just be working out how much money he can get from you. Worth trying to find another mechanic. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth,

It turned out to be 10 hrs. Had 8 in mind but didn´t bother arguing over 2 hrs. He´s only charging 20€/hr. But that showed me he ´s honest and I will probably use him again. The old bag is ready to reach 600 K now.

Cheers

Hugo

• 4 weeks later...