Q7 Rear lights fault, but lights are working!

Jambo152

I keep intermittently getting a warning pop up on the dash of my 2014 Q7 telling me my rear left indicator and rear left side lights are not working, yet they are! Not a showstopper or cause to fail an MOT, but annoying! Reluctant to pay a garage over the odds to do a diagnostic to tell me everything is fine, so any advice on here is appreciated!

James

Hello James,

Warning lights often work by picking up circuit resistances outside of the norm, so the bulbs may still illuminate, but might have higher than expected contact resistance. 

If this were mine, I would be investing in a spray can of contact cleaner, removing the offending bulbs, giving everything a good spray, then refitting and wiggling the bulbs in their holders. 

See if that does anything. If not, let us know, and there is one more area you could check, but the car would not really be old enough to expect to have that issue. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks Gareth - it's an LED light cluster so removing individual bulbs isn't possible. I believe it would be a complete unit swap. I'm going to try and remove the unit, and keep in an airing cupboard over night and dry out the unit in case there's any moisture. Will take your advice of spraying contact cleaner where appropriate.

Appreciate the help - will keep you posted!

James

• 2 years later...

Hi James 

I’ve just been reading through your post although it was some time ago. 
I have a 2011 q7 with LED rear lights and I have the same problem. Rear light works fine in all aspects. Brake, indicator etc but a warning light has appeared on the dash telling me a indicator problem and brake problem but all works fine. 
so just wondering your last post you were removing the unit to dry out. Even though my shows no sign of this. ?

kind regards

barry