2019 RS5 Coupe Passenger Side Seatbelt Feeder

Mark Antony

Hi all

I have a 2019 RS5 Coupe Sport Edition. I am very happy with the car, but there is one thing thats been problematic.

Being a coupe, it has seatbelt feeders that present the seatbelt to the occupier of the seat, so that it's not necessary to reach right behind. 

The driver's side operates as expected. You sit in the seat, close the door, and the seatbelt is fed forward.

On the passenger side, it's a different story. With the passenger seat in the range of forward/backward position for your average adult, the belt feeder for that side does not operate. It will only operate when the passenger seat is almost at its forward-most position. In other words if the passenger is a child or very small person.

I have had the car checked at 2 Audi dealers, and both have said the same thing, that there is no technical problem with any component. And the system is operating as intended. However, neither dealer can explain why it operates the way it does. In fact, one of the dealers spent considerable time looking at another RS5 with the same alleged issue, and came up blank.

I contacted Audi UK to see if they could explain. Unfortunately they were not willing or able to give an explanation, and just said there are no know faults/bugs with the system. In the end they just referred me back to the dealers. A case of pass the parcel.

Has anyone else out there had any experience of this? Or may be able to offer an explication as to why the passenger side operates differently, and non-intuitively?

Thanks

Mark

Hello Mark,

Thanks for being in touch. 

I too would be dissatisfied with the issue you have with the passenger side seatbelt, and let’s hope a forum member with the same model year will respond and give some comparison. 

If this were mine, I would be wanting to progress this by escalating the issue, rather than accepting what you have been told. Of course, the car is under warranty, and Audi have the responsibility for proving there isn’t anything wrong with the car. My ports of call would be to search for another another dealer who has a similar model on stock, and show an interest in the car and make an appointment to view - assuming this is Covid possible. Obviously you will then establish whether that one is the same. 

It is worth bearing in mind, and pointing out as necessary that these cars are designed for the mass left hand drive market, and not the minority RHD, so you are really talking the normal driver side belt operation in real terms. 

Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks Gareth

I get the feeling of a disconnect between Audi UK and the VW Audi Group head office in Germany. Information flows just one way, out of Germany. Its not as if Audi UK responded to me within a day or so, it took them over 4 weeks. And in that time I had hoped for more.

Maybe I should raise a complaint to Audi UK, as the feature does not work as intended (i.e. fit for purpose)

Mark

Hello Mark,

Thanks for coming back. 

Yes, if it were mine, I would certainly be registering a formal complaint with Audi UK, and state that you require a response within 2 weeks.

Kind regards,

Gareth.