Metalic Clicking Noise

Guppy91

Hi guys, 

I purchased a 1.4 tfsi 2015 A1 a few weeks ago, and on test driving I noticed that after a drive both at idle and when the engine is off, there is a metallic ticking noise. It does stop when I turn the engine off, takes minutes or so. 

I did ask the dealer to check but they said its fine, and explained it was something to do with combustion or compression or something. 

It is the same sound you hear when an exhaust is hot, and ticks when It cools down. But it does it even after a Short drive and every single time I drive it.

Just wondering if anybody has similar noises or any idea as it does make me a little worried. 

Thank You. 

Hello David,

Thanks for being in touch. I’m sure you will appreciate that it’s always difficult to advise on such noises despite adequate description. 

I think you have taken the right course of action by returning the car to the supplying dealer (not a main dealer?) and seeking comment. 

If this were mine - and the supplying dealer was not an Audi dealer, then I would be seeking advice at your Audi dealership, and asking them to write down their diagnosis. 

If it was purchased from a main dealer, then I would return there and ask them to write down their explanation, since your original description is vague and you don’t understand what they mean. Even if you don’t actually understand the explanation, the explanation should be clearly understandable to those experienced enough to know what they are talking about. 

The final step I would take, would be to formally notify the seller of the issue in writing.

Perhaps you could update the forum accordingly.

Kind regards,

Gareth.