A3 1.4 'S' line tyres

ekimj10

Upgrading my current A3 Sportback 2.0 SE to a 2015 1.4 'S' line and thinking of new tyres in the very near future. Currently fitted with 4 x 225/40 R18 and would like to change to 22/45 or even 225/50 at a pinch to provide a slightly less harsh ride.

Anyone advise if this creates problems with speedo readings, handling or insurance issues. Thanks, Mike

Hello Mike,

I think you will find that you are not alone in asking this sort of question, and I think you are asking at an opportune time, before? ( in caps) changing to an S line and being committed to its harsher suspension set up. Indeed, I have an elder acquaintance who quickly returned his car - at expense I would have thought- due to being disappointed with the harsher ride. 

Increasing type profiles is an aid, but is technically only possible by first reducing the wheel diameter. If you don’t, then you will be increasing the combined overall dia. of wheel and tyre, and obviously affecting gearing and associated speedo issues. I think you will find that even if you did increase the profile, you will still end up with the inherent harsher ride of the S Line. 

I would guess that many potential buyers are attracted to the S Line for that very reason - they are more attractive - but unless you are attracted to this model for its road holding abilities etc. and not for its ride comfort, then it may not be the variant for you. 

I would look at it like this Mike, if you are already looking to enhance the ride comfort, following a test run, considering buying and living with it, may be a step too far. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi Gareth,

Many thanks for your constructive reply, I have driven the 'S' line and was not deterred by the quality of ride but a short test drive is a poor substitute for long term use. I was hoping to find Audi giving an option but so far nothing. I collect the car tomorrow and the tyres are legal but will need replacing before too soon. If Audi do not recommend an alternative I can see an insurance problem in the event of an accident. Common sense says 'leave as is' I guess. Thanks again. Mike

Hello Mike,

Your last statement confirms you are on the right road, thinking-wise. One more point I could make is, is the car fitted with run-flat tyres? If so, these will impair the ride quality due to the flexibility of the sidewalls. If so, possible to fit non run-flats when renewing the tyres?

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi Gareth,

Have to admit the thought of RFT never entered my mind, sincerely hope not and no question they will not feature on the A3!  I have owned a couple of BMW's with RFT and never again, one was a Z4 which would tramline and twitch all over, Regards, Mike

• Like 1

Well, collected the car today, a decent run home on country roads and I'm well pleased with the ride and handling, so the question of which replacement tyres has almost one away.

My problem at the moment is dealing with the entertainment centre, so far cannot find a way to play a CD. More research required!