Audi Q5 Side Assist

CPO01

Hi All,

After reading many topics I feel sure that someone can give me some advice.

I recently purchased, or should really say received my Q5 TFSI e. I know, some people have had some issues, but so far so good. Anyway, I thought that I had everything covered but apparently not as I missed off the Side Assist system that warns of vehicles approaching on the blind spot. A stupid mistake but one that Audi here in Sweden cannot help me with.

Who can I trust to install the system without invalidating any guarantee?

I know because of all the Covid restrictions right now that coming over to the UK is not possible, but next year my son that lives in Worksop is getting married so I will be coming at some stage.

Very grateful for any input.

Thanks to everyone for a great site.

On 11/16/2020 at 1:57 PM, Steve Q said:

You'll need to get a retrofitter to install it but.it won't.be cheap a d it will affect your warranty

Thanks for your reply, but can you tell me why it is that Audi technicians are not allowed to retrofit? I'm not really understanding the logic as they say it's impossible but yet its clearly not if a retrofitter can do it.

Hello Peter,

I suppose the all important question to answer first is - Is there a ‘retrofitter’ who could possibly/ said they can, retrofit this system for you? If not, then the second question of why they can and Audi can’t, is rather academic. 

Could it be that your Audi dealer doesn’t really want to try to fit it, rather than they cannot? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth,

There are several retrofitters advertising fitting the system, quite a few in the UK, and I've found one not far from me in Sweden  and a couple in Germany. They all seem to give similar prices around €900 plus 6 hours fitting time.

The dealer informs me that it is not possible yet I cannot really see what the problem is, apart from component protection has to be removed. 

2 sensors have to be fitted in the rear bumper and then wiring up to the door mirrors via door controllers.

I am more inclined to think that the dealer is not interested, but I don't understand why they just don't say that.

Kind regards

Peter

• 1 year later...

Hi Everyone 

well it’s been a long time since I followed up on this subject and long story short, it is possible to retrofit side assist!

If anybody else is thinking about doing it then they should contact Andy Hudson at AudiUpgrades. This guy is brilliant, so polite and knowledgeable about Audi’s and going the extra mile to help. He even flew out to Sweden to help me with the project. The fitting process for side assist and exit warning, was a real eye opener and if it wasn’t for Andy, then I could never have managed it. 
My sincere thanks to Andy. 

6 hours ago, CPO01 said:

Hi Everyone 

well it’s been a long time since I followed up on this subject and long story short, it is possible to retrofit side assist!

If anybody else is thinking about doing it then they should contact Andy Hudson at AudiUpgrades. This guy is brilliant, so polite and knowledgeable about Audi’s and going the extra mile to help. He even flew out to Sweden to help me with the project. The fitting process for side assist and exit warning, was a real eye opener and if it wasn’t for Andy, then I could never have managed it. 
My sincere thanks to Andy. 

Thank you for following this up 🙂 glad you got sorted. How much did it cost if you don't mind me asking? 

Hi

In reality it’s better to ask Andy at AudiUpgrades as different cars need different parts, so to get the best info send your VIN to Andy. 

4 hours ago, CPO01 said:

Hi

In reality it’s better to ask Andy at AudiUpgrades as different cars need different parts, so to get the best info send your VIN to Andy. 

No probs. Its not applicable to me as my A6 is far too old. Just thought it give other members an idea of cost. I'll hazard a guess it's not cheap.