Allroad or not to Allroad

JBoat

I wish I knew a fraction of what some of you guys and gals know, so just looking for opinions and comments please. Very happy with the A3, always wanted an A4 but now really think I will save my pennies for an A4/A6 Avant. What are your views on the pros and cons of the Allroad as opposed standard Avants?

The A6 Allroad came with standard adjustable-height Air Suspension, which gives a more comfortable ride - especially if you try to muck it up again with 35 section tyres on 20" alloys. . 

The disadvantage is that it is something else to go wrong. 

Adjustable suspension was an option on the A4 Allroad.

I am a loyal customer at my local main Audi dealer and found the support for issues with my Audi Approved Used car to be excellent. 

• Like 1

I chose the allroad because I tow a caravan a fair bit, and I hate SUV/fake 4-wheel drive boxes....... the all wheel drive on wet grass is a life saver over front wheel drive vehicles, and the self levelling suspension makes towing at any time a dream ... add in the power and simplicity of control and it is probably the best towcar I have ever owned .. and I've had a few in the last 45 years !!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Entwood said:

I chose the allroad because I tow a caravan a fair bit, and I hate SUV/fake 4-wheel drive boxes....... the all wheel drive on wet grass is a life saver over front wheel drive vehicles, and the self levelling suspension makes towing at any time a dream ... add in the power and simplicity of control and it is probably the best towcar I have ever owned .. and I've had a few in the last 45 years !!

That's great feedback Entwood, thanks for taking the time.

10 hours ago, beemerboy9 said:

The A6 Allroad came with standard adjustable-height Air Suspension, which gives a more comfortable ride - especially if you try to muck it up again with 35 section tyres on 20" alloys. . 

The disadvantage is that it is something else to go wrong. 

Adjustable suspension was an option on the A4 Allroad.

I am a loyal customer at my local main Audi dealer and found the support for issues with my Audi Approved Used car to be excellent. 

Thanks John (beemerboy9), I'm not to far from Enfield (Goffs Oak) so hearing about the good support from local dealership is appreciated. Is that Chingford or another?

8 hours ago, JBoat said:

Thanks John (beemerboy9), I'm not to far from Enfield (Goffs Oak) so hearing about the good support from local dealership is appreciated. Is that Chingford or another?

It is another branch of Group1 Automotive in Whetstone (Barnet). Group1 are huge in the USA and have been acquisitive over here. 

If you buy an Approved Used Audi (or VW) I have found that the Customer Services team are always ready to act as intermediaries. There were most helpful when my wife's Jetta lunched its engine (a known fault on the particular motor) at 55,000 miles.

With a customer services interaction a gentle approach helps. It did not help with Peugeot -  and I will not buy a French car ever again. Having said that, a friend has put over 750,000 miles on 2 Citroen C5's and loves them.

• 1 month later...

Dependant on what engine you are selecting and how important performance is; I noticed that the allroad 0-60 time for the Bitdi was half a second slower than the std avant with the same engine..

i can only assume it could be down to different gearbox ratios?

• Like 1

Hi, 

I am on my 12th Audi at the moment, they have all been A4s, except for one A3,

the last 7 have all been Avant's, my last two Avants have both been Allroads & i can't praise 

them enough, my latest one, a 2017 model, B9. the one i have at the moment is a joy to drive, with the 190 tdi

engine, & 7 speed S Tronic gearbox. coupled with the extra ride height, it makes a great all round car

i would  recommend one to anybody.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Timmeh said:

Dependant on what engine you are selecting and how important performance is; I noticed that the allroad 0-60 time for the Bitdi was half a second slower than the std avant with the same engine..

If 1/2 of a second 0-60 time matters that much, IMHO you should not be looking at all wheel drive vehicles or estate cars .......

• Like 1

I would have to disagree tbh as 4 wheel drive gives excellent consistency in acceleration. Estate to saloon times are also very similar- in comparison is half a second much greater-

but that’s a whole separate topic (not to mention the fact that the estate choice is certainly in my case not a choice but a must with family etc)

On 1/2/2021 at 10:17 AM, Timmeh said:

Another 55 kg of weight, I fear. Don't ask where it comes from - apart from the air suspension plumbing and compressor

I have had three A6 All-Roads 3.0 diesel automatics. Current is 67 plate. Love them. Wife has bad back and swears by air suspension even though I have 20" wheels. Loads of grunt if you need but comfortable round town.  Sat Nav is primitive (I have SD version but on-line version not much better) but I just use Google Maps. Only thing I would recommend is to get one with colour coded plastic wheel arches. Just looks a LOT better than ugly black originals.  Colour choice or body is limited to dark or silver. I chose silver. Once out of warranty quite a few VCDS tweaks you can do e.g. peep on locking, fob controlled tailgate close etc.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 7:29 PM, Entwood said:

Great news ! I currently drive a LR Discovery sport that goes back in June and I am thinking of replacing it with a used A6 Allroad. I tow a 1500kg caravan. Anything I need to watch out for ?? I will be looking around 2016/17 year ? Thanks 

16 minutes ago, Jessdale said:

Great news ! I currently drive a LR Discovery sport that goes back in June and I am thinking of replacing it with a used A6 Allroad. I tow a 1500kg caravan. Anything I need to watch out for ?? I will be looking around 2016/17 year ? Thanks 

Yeah .. speed limits !! I got done twice in france whilst towing !!! far too easy to go a bit quick as it is so stable, simple, and eager !!  Easiy the best towcar I've owned .... only downside is it's done very little for the past year due to covid ... less than 3000 miles in 14 months .. and only 3 trips with the tin tent on the back. 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 12:15 AM, mikenott said:

I have had three A6 All-Roads 3.0 diesel automatics. Current is 67 plate. Love them. Wife has bad back and swears by air suspension even though I have 20" wheels. Loads of grunt if you need but comfortable round town.  Sat Nav is primitive (I have SD version but on-line version not much better) but I just use Google Maps. Only thing I would recommend is to get one with colour coded plastic wheel arches. Just looks a LOT better than ugly black originals.  Colour choice or body is limited to dark or silver. I chose silver. Once out of warranty quite a few VCDS tweaks you can do e.g. peep on locking, fob controlled tailgate close etc.

Thanks Mike. Can you explain (apologies for not understanding) Once out of warranty quite a few VCDS tweaks you can do e.g. peep on locking, fob controlled tailgate close etc. What does VCDS stand for? Peep on locking? (Excuse my ignorance).

• 4 months later...

A Q please.

With the air suspension does the car automatically sit up high, or do so if you set it to, to receive you as you step in ?  A kind of comfort access for fatties with weak knees / problem back. 

Am I right to think that the AllRoad will be better for this than a standard Avant ?

And as I say, can you set it, to be particularly high sitting when you first step in ? ( then lower when you drive off say )