Immobiliser fault

Joe kelly

I have just bought an Audi A3 1.8 petrol SE 2002 and I now have a problem with the immobiliser. The key works to unlock the car and turn the ignition on but it won’t start the car. The engine will not attempt to crank when the key is turned. I have bypassed the ignition system so I can start the car by touching the live feed of the battery with a wire and the car will start. However the immobiliser light is still on and flashing. If the immobiliser was kicking in then surely the car would not run when I start it with the bypass. Is this a problem with my ignition barrel? I’m guessing the immobiliser is just not working but I don’t understand why the car won’t attempt to start with the key. Any help will be appreciated, thank you.

You only have one key? Risky!

Try some of the following steps I found on the tinterweb

Steps to reprogram keys to a car they are already linked to:

1. Press and hold the unlock key on a remote

2. Insert key in ignition and turn to on (while still holding unlock)

3. Hold unlock while in the on position for 2 seconds

4. Turn key to off, remove from ignition and release button.

Do this for each remote. Relink to seat positions (press and hold mem position #, then unlock button for 2 seconds and release both) and done.

To program new remotes on a car never linked to previously:

1. Take a key (valet key works best, put it into the ignition and turn the key to the "on" position, so the dashboard lights come on.

2. Roll down the driver's side window (not required, but a good idea in case there's a problem).

3. Exit the car and close the door.

4. With a second key, physically lock the doors by turning the key clockwise (don't use a remote).

5. Take the first remote to be programmed, press the unlock button. The lights will flash once.

6. Wait 10 seconds and press the unlock button. The doors should unlock. That first transmitter is now programmed.

***If you have only one key skip to step 16. Otherwise continue to step 7.***

7. Lock the door again (physically) with the key, (not the remote) by turning clockwise.

8. Press the unlock button two times with a one second interval in between, the lights will flash with each button press for a total of two flashes.

9. Wait 10 seconds and press the unlock button. The doors should unlock. The second transmitter is now programmed.

***If you have three keys proceed to step 10. Otherwise skip to step 16.***

10. Lock the door again (physically) with the key, (not the remote) by turning clockwise.

11. Press the unlock button three times with a one second interval in between, the lights will flash with each button press for a total of three flashes.

12. Wait 10 seconds and press the unlock button. The doors should unlock. The third transmitter is now programmed.

***If you have four keys proceed to step 13. Otherwise skip to step 16.***

13. Lock the door again (physically) with the key, (not the remote) by turning clockwise.

14. Press the unlock button four times with a one second interval in between, the lights will flash with each button press for a total of four flashes.

15. Wait 10 seconds and press the unlock button. The doors should unlock. The fourth transmitter is now programmed.

16. Remove the key from the ignition.

Some earlier Cars had a chip transponder in them that was read by a reading near the ignition barrel. Have you changed the battery / dropped the keys and reassembled them recently? 

Hope the above works - a Vehicle locksmith may be you next port of call 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Yes, I agree. If there is no problem with your ignition barrel, your key is the issue. The reason why your car is not starting is probably you need to program the key first. It’s not that easy doing it by yourself. Therefore, it would be best to call these locksmiths SW19 to do the key programming.

• 1 month later...