Sports suspension v normal 2020

maw444

Hi

I am looking at buying a 2020 A3

choice is one with normal suspension - 17 inch wheels or sports suspension  with 18 inch.

wondered which will corner the best - assume the 18 inch sports suspension - but would be interested in people's views. Car will be my daily with driving along country lanes - some of which are not that 'smooth' 

Hello Mark,

Thanks for being in touch. 

The simple question to ask is:- Are you likely to be cornering at speed along your uneven country lanes? 

If not, then the answer must point to the smaller wheel, normal suspension model. 

The 18 inch wheel model will have lower profile tyres, and if you add the effect of sports suspension ( and probably run-flat tyres) , the combination will obviously result in a much harsher ride. Of course, the car will corner better at speed - if this is indeed more important to you than ride comfort and reasonable handling under a normal driving style.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

I have the 18" wheels and sports suspension on mine. Its not too bad but a bit bouncy and wallowy on corners.

I am about to replace my suspension with a Bilstein B12 Sportline kit and front and rear Eibach anti roll bars to improve the handling and driving feel.

Are you saying that your car wallowing into corners means that it does not corner that well?

I tend to drive fast down the country roads, and drive around the bends speedily,  if it wallows with sports suspension I'll stick with normal 

I have an h+r -50mm cup kit on the Skoda VRS (actual drop on the Vrs Was around 35mm) and it made a massive difference but the springs a slightly harsh on rough roads. Eibach springs are a bit more forgiving so I went with the Bilstein shock / Eibach Sportline springs option for the A3. It should lower it around the same 35mm drop.

Currently the A3 is not too bad but I find it a bit wallowy compared to the VRS. I would assume but don't know for sure that the standard suspension and 17' tyres would be even softer but don't have any experience of it.

Hello Mark,

Thanks for coming back on this, and thanks to David for sharing his experiences with his 4 year old sports suspension car, on which he is going to modify the suspension. 

So it seems David thinks even the sports suspension is wollowy, - so the normal suspension is likely to be even more so. 

It might be me Mark, but respecting that you like to drive fast around country lane bends, so you do indeed believe you warrant the benefits of a harsher sports suspension, so I’m losing the plot when you say that you will now go for normal suspension. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi, I had a 2017 1.4 S line which had 18inch wheels and sports suspension and while the ride is hard I had no issues with cornering performance. I have since changed to a 2020 S3 and is a harder ride again but performance and handling are what you would expect. I live in Cornwall driving on country lanes all the time. I would suggest going to your local dealer and drive both variants.