aUDI a3 TYRE PRESSURES?

Lancsline

I have just purchased an Audi A3 8V 2.0 ltr Turbo S Line 2015. The tyres on it are 225/40 R 18 92Y. The recomended tyre pressures on the vehicle label state: 2.9 bar/42 psi front and 2.7 bar/39 psi rear, these pressures seem a little high, can anyone help?

Hello David, 

Pending other owner’s reply. 

I too would think that those pressures would seem to be on the high side. 

Is the car a Quattro and/or, are the tyres Xl ( extra load)?

I always follow the label on the car, but say 38psi front and 35 rear may be a reasonable starting point if non Quattro and not XL. 

Can we assume you have matching tyre makes across the same axle?

If so, I would recommend you check with the manufacturer’s website/technical dept. for their recommendations. 

Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

OK David, 

The XL will be embossed on the sidewall - if they are XL. You will need to look. 

35psi and 32 rear would sound to be alright, and yes the car would appear to be alright, because the pressures are uniform across the axle m and have a variance back to front. Correct pressures though? 

Repeating:- If it were mine, I would be checking Continental’s website, or if the information there is not conclusive, it’s a question of making a good old fashioned phone call. 

Perhaps you could feed back to the forum for the benefit of others. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Yes my tyres are XL extra load and on the label on drivers door it states 225/40 R18 92Y XL. Front pressure 2.9 bar - 42 psi and rear pressure  2.7 bar - 39 psi for normal load. It seems quite high? Does anyone know for sure please?

Thanks David, now we are getting the full story.

Thanks for repeating the question. 

XL are normally fitted to estates, and I guess they are classifying the Sportback as that. They have stronger and less flexible sidewalls, and will accommodate higher pressures. My suspicion is that the car’s ride quality is a bit on the harsh side, due to low profile tyres, the less flexible XL sidewall, and of course the sports suspension. Handling - if that’s your bag - should be good

Although I would agree the pressures seem high, they are the recommended pressures for your vehicle fitted with the XL tyres, and logic would now point to following this recommendation unless Continental advise others - are you going to contact them? - pending any other owner’s coming up with their suggested pressures. 

Have you checked if these are run- flat tyres by any chance? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Have inflated my tyres to 42psi front and 39psi rear as per information on my car. The ride seems harder and I have noticed the various holes etc in the roads a lot more. Anybody driving around with these tyre pressures got any other comments please?

Just noticed on the sticker/label on my car about tyre pressures, for 225/40 R18 92Y XL it shows 3 people and a book symbol with 2.6 bar/38psi front and 2.4 bar/35psi rear. Might try these pressures until Continental reply to my question?

Hello David,

I’m quite capable of confusing myself - without outside assistance! 

How many labels have you got, and where are they? - inside fuel filler flap? 

Or are you saying you have one label, but you’ve now found it differentiates between the XL, (which you thought you didn’t have) and the the same tyre sizes in non- XL form? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Got my reply from Continental Tyres today:-

Thank you for getting in contact and I fully understand your concern.

The tyres inflation pressures are set by the vehicle manufacturer and not by ourselves I'm afraid. They have conducted extensive testing to equate the best inflation pressures for maximum handling, performance and safety of the specific vehicle. The maximum psi written on the side of the tyre is for the Northern American market only.

If you are still in any doubt I would advise speaking with the vehicle manufacturer who will be able to guide you further. I hope this helps.

Best Regards

Tomasz Wojciechowski

Product Support Engineer

Looks like another e-mail to Audi to me?

Sent Audi customer services an email and got an informative telephone call this afternoon. The upshot of it all is that with a light load in my car e.g. 1 driver & 1 passenger, tyre pressures recommended can be: - 38psi front & 35psi rear.

Thanks to all who have contributed.

• Like 1