Bitdi fuel economy 🤨

Timmeh

Just bought a 2016 Bitdi and drove it all the way to Germany and back- thought the fuel economy would be better tbh...

even at 75/80mph on cruise control with no traffic I got 35mpg average for 600 mile trek...

even at 70mph I can only squeeze 36-

ive heard elsewhere if Bitdi owners saying that mid 30’s is easily doable - but for me that is absolutely best case

Hello Tim,

Pardon my ignorance of your particular engine, but is this close to 3 litre? 

It’s disappointing that no one has yet come forward to share their experience - come on folks, help Tim out. 

Pending some response Tim, I take it the car is well serviced in terms of air filters etc.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hey Gareth

thx for the reply.

yes it’s had all servicing done- in fact it just had one as part of the purchase agreement..

yes it’s the 3.0tdi Bitdi engine with the 8 speed box.

ive read elsewhere of people saying they managed rarely 40mpg + and average 35... I can’t even get 40 doing 70mph on a flat motorway....

im getting 26mpg driving 30/40 mph speed limit roads, and 35mpg on very good motorway runs..

hopefully someone here has the same engine do I can compare figures- 👍

Hello Tim,

Many thanks for the extra information. 

Re. pre sales service - can we take it it was it bought from a main dealer?

If so, there shouldn’t be any issues with say the air filter quality, but I guess we are assuming (in caps) that it was renewed as part of the service, since it isn’t always. Worth a check? 

We really do need to get some other owner experience here, so come on folks! 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hey Gareth

i will check it thx.

it wasn’t from a dealer-

previously it had its servicing from Audi. The previous service was only 9000 miles ago- but I negotiated a fresh (non dealer service) in the deal.. ended up getting new brake discs and pads on the front too 🤩

will have a look at when the air filter was last done (in the meantime I’m hoping it was done 9000 miles ago by Audi)...

Hello Tim,

Many thanks for the additional information. 

I wouldn’t claim the air filter would account for the higher than expected fuel consumption, but I would treat it as a necessary basic check before moving on. 

It would be well worth checking the condition and make (if it appears near new), and I would also check the make of the oil filter - we assume that was changed by the seller. 

Whereas it can be a bonus to have the car serviced within the deal, it must be respected that a non franchise seller is likely to use the ‘best motor factor deal’ parts. Do you know exactly what items they covered in the service, and do you know if they used Audi discs and pads? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Tim, 

Does your car have the "post-Dieselgate" emissions update? This might account for some of the variance in mpg. 

I will drive from London to Sheffield over the weekend and will report back on the fuel consumption. I expect to get around 35 mpg..

Regards,

John

• Like 1

Hey john

That’s a good question... I don’t know if it’s had the update tbh

I’d appreciate the mpg feedback from your journey cheers!

as mentioned previously I achieved 35mpg driving at night and had no stop starting at all- cruise set to 75-80 easiest driving you could hope for.

Would be interesting to compare  

Thanks for the reply and offer 

Tim

Hi again john

it looks like it has had the recall- 

I think the 23x6 attached is the nox recall

Anything that can still be done ? Debating a chip or remap as apparently the less aggressive ones can improve mpg quite considerably, whilst giving a bit more power for the rare time that you need it....

oh and magnet; you’ll just about see at the top of the pic that the air filter was changed in sept 2019.

D5749E5D-63CE-4947-AFB1-29DD5ED3278C.jpeg

• Like 1

Just got back from Sheffield - up and down the M1. Cruising at 70-75 with 15 miles through the 60 mph roadworks on the way up plus a significant rural detour on the way down after the M1 shut in both directions today!

We were averaging 43-44 mpg driving carefully. Mine is an older BiTDi for which no emissions fix is offered. It is quite possible that a remap would help fuel consumption. 

Be wary of a remap if you intend to use Audi servicing as some dealers will use a remap to wriggle out of a warranty claim. 

I would talk to your dealer about the fuel consumption issue first.

Hope this helps ...

John

On 11/21/2020 at 12:30 AM, JBoat said:

Thanks John (beemerboy9), I'm not to far from Enfield (Goffs Oak) so hearing about the good support from local dealership is appreciated. Is that Chingford or another?

I have been using Whetstone Audi formany years.

19 minutes ago, beemerboy9 said:

Just got back from Sheffield - up and down the M1. Cruising at 70-75 with 15 miles through the 60 mph roadworks on the way up plus a significant rural detour on the way down after the M1 shut in both directions today!

We were averaging 43-44 mpg driving carefully. Mine is an older BiTDi for which no emissions fix is offered. It is quite possible that a remap would help fuel consumption. 

Be wary of a remap if you intend to use Audi servicing as some dealers will use a remap to wriggle out of a warranty claim. 

I would talk to your dealer about the fuel consumption issue first.

Hope this helps ...

John

Hey John

thx for that

that is way higher than I can achieve.... I can’t get 40 even cruising at 65-

im sure it’s down to this emissions recall/remap

as mine is a 2016 (purchased from a non Audi dealer with scotsure warranty) it’s out of Audi manufacturers warranty now- so I think a remap is the best way forward...

can anyone recommend a company in the West Midlands area please? I’m based in Shrewsbury 

thx for you help 👍

Hi folks,

I have had both version of BiTDi (313bhp and now 320bhp) and in my opinion the 320bhp is less efficient. I live in the same place and make similar trips, and in my 64 plate I would consistently average 40-42mpg (fair mix of village/A road/motorway and a heavy foot when necessary :-) ) but in my current 16 plate it is significantly less (and the gearbox behaves differently), averaging 34-36mpg, albeit with slightly less A road useage. It certainly isnt as efficient.

Thx Stuart

that is interesting as it would align with my results...
I think the emissions recall my car must be the issue I’m having- I simply cannot get 40+mpg... (did you have it done?)

the funny thing is that it’s all a mental game really- if I boot it and enjoy the car, then I don’t mind 20mpg- but if I’m commuting for work doing 70 on the motorway then I want more than 35 🤣

im going to have to get it remapped- although I’ve seen some remaps costing £250 and others £500- a huge difference 🙈

I haven't had anything done emissions-wise (although cannot say if the previous owner had/hadn't). Just sitting at 70-75ish on a decent trip to the Isle of Wight (when we could in the summer...) i got nearer to 40 overall, but on the flip-side when my heavier right foot is in play it doesn't ever fall below 31-32 - which for what the car is I still think is pretty great.

Just a word of caution on re-mapping (in my experience of course). My previous car was a Mk7 VW Golf R, which I had various things done and was dyno'd at 382bhp - it was brilliant fun and that power didn't affect my mpg seriously either - I took great delight in out-dragging a couple of local RS3's due to the much better power-to-weight I had - but - despite me having a Sachs upgraded clutch I began to fear the other knock-on issues that running significantly more power can cause; and then, once 1 part fails then the next will and then the next and who knows how expensive those kind of issues would be on our BiTDi's?

Thx Stuart

i appreciate the info.

that’s interesting regarding the mpg difference with without lead foot!

In 30 and 40 mph limits I’m getting 25/26mpg.

for short motorway trips I’m getting 33 and longer ones 35mpg.

the reason for the remap is moreso regarding mpg tbh... I’m more looking at an economical map which will likely only add a few hp’s- rather than the performance maps that add 15-20%

🤞🤞🤞

3 hours ago, Timmeh said:

Thx Stuart

i appreciate the info.

that’s interesting regarding the mpg difference with without lead foot!

In 30 and 40 mph limits I’m getting 25/26mpg.

for short motorway trips I’m getting 33 and longer ones 35mpg.

the reason for the remap is moreso regarding mpg tbh... I’m more looking at an economical map which will likely only add a few hp’s- rather than the performance maps that add 15-20%

🤞🤞🤞

Talk to Darkside Developments. They have specific experience with BiTDi's (they own one) and have the facilities to develop custom maps (for mpg only).