new 19'' tyres required what's best thanks

kevin burns

• 6 months later...

May I ask, how you've found your 19 inch alloys on the A3. I'm looking to upgrade mine to a set of 19inch alloys but want to know if I'm going to be giving up too much in terms of comfortability and fuel economy to achieve it. 

Thank You

I have pirelli 19s on my a5 and the ride is still comfortable and with the quattro system  The wall height on the tyres make the grip feel even more awesome I can live with the occasional pot hole causing me to bounce in the seat compared to the handling and sporty feel I get with the 19s, just make sure you buy decent tyres and not budget if you really want to enjoy the ride

• Thanks 1

Hello Habib,

We don’t know what size wheels (and tyres) you have now, or were fitted as original equipment when the car was new.

Before making any decision on whether to move to 19inch wheels, you will need to do some maths and work out the total outside diameter of the current wheels and tyres, by knowing the wheel diameter and calculating the tyre ‘height’ from the profile figure of your tyres -say for example you now have 50 profile tyres then your tyre height will be 50% of your tyre width. 
If you fit 19 inch wheels then the tyre profile has to reduce to keep the total outside diameter the same as it is now with your current wheels. 
As has been indicated, lower profile tyres will make for a harsher ride, and if this is what you want to put up with as a trade off for potentially better cornering at speed then then you obviously have to judge what best suits your driving style.

Of course, some owners consider larger wheels to be attractive (to others?) but the reality is you can’t see them when you are driving! 
It all depends what attracts you to larger diameter wheels Habib, and how important it is to change - and that decision has to take into account potential insurance premium implications if such wheel sizes were not an available option on your model when new. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hello Gareth,

Thanks for taking the time to not only reply to my post but also giving me a real world view and also giving me lots of things to think about before I decide to make such a choice. 

I have a 2016 facelift Audi A3 s line, and they came with 18 inch alloys from new. I'm not sure about the exact tyre dimensions as I haven't had to change the tyres yet in my ownership and I'm not near my car at the moment.

There are two reasons I wanted to upgrade to 19's firstly I wanted a more sporty feel while driving, secondly, they'd look so cool and lastly, the alloys I was thinking about buying only come in 19's however, I'm not sure if it's worth getting a bigger alloy hence why I'm after some opinions and ideally some advice from people who have done it.

Thank You,

Habib

The wheel arch spacings will be the same across the a3 range but with a 1.4 engine you'll lose start and low speed acceleration due to the increase in wheel size but wouldn't imagine it would be really significant