Audi A4 avante ref plate bulb failure

James17

Hi everyone. 
I’m a new user and recently bought a car for my days off instead of using the work van (kids hate the van). Day after I bought it I noticed the warning light for the bulbs on Reg plate. Got new bulbs fitted and no joy. They said (Halfords) that they weren’t sure where the fuse for it is. Does it have a fuse or rum from something else? Any help be much appreciated. 
thanks 

James 

Hello James,

Thanks for being in touch.

Did you replace the number plate bulbs because they weren’t working, or did you just have a warning message that they weren’t working - when they were? 

If you could clarify that then we should be able to point you in a direction.

Kind regards, 

Gareth.

p.s. Do you have access to a multi meter, and know how to use It? 

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for your quick response. I bought the car. That’s a good question. I never got out to check that weren’t actually working when the warning light had came on. I just presumed that they needed replaced. Sorry but I’m pretty hopeless with cars in general there not my strong point ha 

Thanks 

James 

Thanks James,

I’ve just re-read your post, and now wonder whether when you say ‘....got new bulbs fitted and no joy’ , the new bulbs don’t even illuminate, rather than they do, but the warning doesn’t go off? I guess it’s the bulbs don’t illuminate?? 

No disrespects James, but if you are hopeless with cars, then you are best advised to steer well clear of anything to do with electrics. You would need a meter and know how to confidently use it to carryout the necessary checks. 

I would suggest you seek the services of a trusted local auto electrician, or your local garage and get them to sort it.

If everything appears to check out OK to a point, but the bulbs still don’t light, then I would be looking at the wires within the flexible section which runs from the body to the tailgate, but I would not advise you looking at this yourself. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.