Should I get the tracking checked ?

dav.a

Audi A5 Cabriolet Quattro. 

I recently replaced the rear nearside wheel bearing. Should I have the tracking checked ? Audi want £120 for the privilege of doing it. 

Hello David,

My gut feeling is that you would not be altering the rear alignment by changing the rear hub, but since you did the job yourself then you are going to be more aware of anything you took apart which wasn’t any way  ‘adjustable’.

£120 at Audi - not surprised. Why not get it checked (usually free of charge for the check) by a trusted local tyre company on their now-usual four wheel alignment equipment? This equipment is sophisticated, sometimes beyond the expertise of the operator! - so carefully select who you use. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks for reply. Good idea about local company. I only removed one bolt, which seemed to connect a wishbone set up, for access. Cant see this effecting the tracking. Perhaps I am over thinking things. 

Ok David,

Following on from what I thought, and what you say you dismantled, if this were mine, I would now be minded not to do anything in respect of getting a wheel alignment check, but simply keep a close eye for any tyre wear which wasn’t present pre the hub change. I make this decision based on that sometimes the sophistication of the machine exceeds the operator’s abilities to correct any perceived misalignment - a question of leaving well alone, unless seen to be an issue. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.