Oil light fault

Chris Mullender Jones

I have an Audi Q5 TDI auto 2019. It was taken to the main dealer for its first oil change at 8300 miles 3 months ago. The dealers drained the oil, replaced the filter and swear that they replaced the oil with the correct amount of new oil. The car electronics however show the oil level as minimum. There is no physical way (dipstick) to check the level only the electronic indicators. The car drives fine but with the oil lights on which is a bit disconcerting. The dealers have elevated this ‘fault’ to the factory but after 3 moths still have no fix. Has anyone else come across this fault, apparently it is rare but not unheard of. 

Hello Christopher, 

Many thanks for being in touch,

I can understand your concern, and being from the old school! - I too bemoan the lack of a dipstick. 

Back to your issue:- Oil and filter changed 3 months ago.

How soon after did the low oil level warning light come on? 

Returned to the dealer, but did they top up the oil for you, or have you now topped it up as recommended in the handbook? 

We hope so, but if not, how many miles has the car covered since the the warning light came on? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth

The oil lights came on straight away. The dealership retained the car for a week to try and sort the problem but gave up. I’ve not added any oil as If the car has the correct level of oil I will overfill it. The car is under warranty so it is Audi’s problem. I have in fact just heard the dealer is taking the car in, drain the engine to make sure that the correct level of oil is in there. Quite why they didn’t go this in the first place is beyond me. The car was fine before they drained the oil, what can possibly go wrong. Chris

Thanks Chris,

Appreciating that the low oil level warning may ( in caps) be false, it may not have been - in fact it’s more likely it isn’t - then you have been driving around for 3 months with a low oil level! OK it’s under warranty, but an resultant issue may not manifest themselves until the warrantee has expired. 

Seems very odd and remiss that common sense hasn’t prevailed here from the outset, and that they simply drained the oil off and carefully added the specified quantity of oil. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.