Struggling to get high mpg

willswatts

Hi all, I have recently purchased an A4 avant 1.4 TSFI 2017. Really happy with the car but have been struggling to hit the high mpg expected, I had changed from a BMW 318d so had expected to see a drop in mpg going to a smaller engined petrol. I use the car for a 66 miles round commute daily on A and B roads, I'm currently averaging 40-44mpg depending on traffic and weather. After achieving late 50s-early 60s in the 318d, I was expecting to hit closer to early 50s as the extra urban stats of vehicle claim to reach up to 58mpg. Abit disheartened due to the high mileage I will be covering. I have played with the different drive modes but was wondering if anyone had experienced similar problems or had any tips to up the mpg.

Hello Will,

Many thanks for being in touch, and hopefully other owners will contribute with their actually-achieved figures. 

As a broad brush stab at it, I would consider your figures to be reasonable if compared with the quoted claims - which are notoriously optimistic. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi

I also have a 2017 A4 with the 1.4 TSI engine, albeit a saloon rather than the estate.  Until last March I was averaging about 2000 miles each month, with most journeys being a minimum of a 20 mile round trip.  Based on the onboard computer (which I once calculated to be about 7% optimistic), I usually get at least 50.4 MPG and often get nearer to 55 MPG.  I use dynamic mode as I prefer the throttle response, but I tend to drive in a fairly relaxed manner.  Mine is the Sport model with 17" wheels, so if yours is an S-Line with 18" or more wheels, that would probably use more fuel.  Is yours a manual gearbox or DSG?

Hope that helps

Glen

On 1/21/2021 at 10:18 PM, TheITGuy said:

Hi

I also have a 2017 A4 with the 1.4 TSI engine, albeit a saloon rather than the estate.  Until last March I was averaging about 2000 miles each month, with most journeys being a minimum of a 20 mile round trip.  Based on the onboard computer (which I once calculated to be about 7% optimistic), I usually get at least 50.4 MPG and often get nearer to 55 MPG.  I use dynamic mode as I prefer the throttle response, but I tend to drive in a fairly relaxed manner.  Mine is the Sport model with 17" wheels, so if yours is an S-Line with 18" or more wheels, that would probably use more fuel.  Is yours a manual gearbox or DSG?

Hope that helps

Glen

Thanks Glen, my avant is also a 17" wheeled sport edition, with a manual gearbox. Will continue to have a play around with dynamic mode and see how this effects the mpg over longer distances. I know the weight of an estate will undoubtably have an effect but should definitely touch closer to 50mpg fingers crossed. Have you found the mpg to be better using the cruise control or manual acceleration?

Hi Will

I rarely use cruise control as most of my journeys don't suit a set speed for prolonged periods of time.  I also find the operation of the cruise control not quite as intuitive as in the Skoda's I have driven previously.

I have found that using dynamic mode gives no detriment to fuel economy and I prefer the sharper throttle response.  I had a round trip of about 80 miles yesterday to visit a client, mostly about 60% single carriageways and 40% dual carriageways (with a 60 mph limit in part) and averaged about 53 mpg for the journey.

All the best

Glen

The MPG figures you're getting seem quite low - are you making good use of the coasting and cylinder de-activation technology? I've adjusted my driving style to encourage the car to shut down cylinders or coast and it does really help to improve MPG. I've got the 2.0L petrol DSG and would be disappointed with below 50 MPG on the sort of journey you are describing. I'm sure you know this but try sticking to 55-60 mph, that's the efficiency sweet spot.

Hi Omar

My wife has an Audi A3 with cylinder deactivation as did my previous car, a Skoda Octavia 1.5 TSI - the revs don't drop when switching to 2 cylinder mode as the engine is still running a 4-stroke cycle, just with 2 cylinders "empty".  In fact, apart from a message on the dash, you rarely notice it has switched to running on 2 cylinders.  A very impressive engine (well the 1.4 one in the Audi is, the 1.5 equivalent was a nightmare, but that's a whole different story....)

All the best

Glen