Central Locking Playing Up

BM1996

Hi guys, new to the forum so sorry if placed in the wrong topic..

I have a 2008 A4 B8 which has a door problem, it started with the drivers side door but has now progressed to the passenger side door. 

Whenever I press the button on the fob to open the doors, the outside handles don’t open the door, I have to lower the windows to open the door from the inside. Has been a persistent fault on the drivers side for a few months but has become quite a nuisance especially with the passenger side gone as well.

The doors won’t open around 80% of the time, that’s why it has stumped me.. I have changed the battery on the fob recently and that is when the passenger aide stopped unlocking, I don’t know if that’s a coincidence or not. Also the handles feel like they are somewhat loose when I pull them, but they do work sometimes. 

Thank you in advance for any comments

Hello Billy,

Thanks for being in touch. 

It’s usual for the driver’s door module to control the remaining doors, and for issues to start with that door, and migrate to affect the other doors.

Since you say the issue with the passenger door started (coincidence?) when anew fob battery was fitted, it may be worth going through the fob resetting procedure, which you should find via. Google - and has been listed on here from time to time. Pessimistically, none of these procedures have worked for my spare fob, but you never know your luck. 

Failing this having any influence, I fear it’s a matter of seeking (diagnostic?) guidance from a trusted local independent, or removing the driver’s door panel to check things out - if you feel confident. 

On thing puzzles me ‘...the outside handles don’t open the door, I have to lower the window to open the door from the inside’...!

How do you lower the windows without being inside the car? I know you can close them via. the locking on the fob, but opening? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for getting back to me. Would the control module be inside the drivers door? Was looking online yesterday but couldn’t see anything..

I tried to reset the fob with no luck.. it worked for a few hours and I thought it was finally fixed and then I was going to the shop and it happened again 🥵

You can open them too by pressing and holding the open button on the fob, just make sure you have the convenience windows option on in your settings on MMI

Thanks

Thanks Billy. 

Location of module? Sorry I really don’t know, and unless you are equipped with the necessary diagnostics and knowledge, then I can only repeat my suggestion that you have your local independent diagnose this for you, and estimate the cost of sorting it out.

Kind regards,

Gareth.